[ZendTo] Speeding up Apache

Jules Jules at Zend.To
Wed Jun 24 14:46:31 BST 2020

Folks,

If you take a look at
     zend.to/phpfpm
you will find my simple step-by-step guides for switching Apache to what
may be a faster load-handling model on your system, and switching PHP
over to php-fpm instead of the older mod_php.

The steps are as short and simple as I think I can make them!

On 23/06/2020 17:48, Jules via ZendTo wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I've been working on some instructions to speed up Apache (and
> hopefully reduce its memory usage) by switching from the "prefork"
> model to the "worker" model, and using php-fpm instead of mod_php.
>
> I haven't got any ZendTo sites where the load difference would be very
> noticeable, but I suspect some of you do.
> I've worked out how to do it on Ubuntu/Debian (hopefully most recent
> versions!) and on CentOS/RedHat 7.
>
> If I write up the instructions as a couple of "How To" guides on the
> website, would you like to try them out?
>
> It's pretty straightforward, you don't need to know anything much
> about how Apache works. But the changes will affect *all* websites on
> the server/VM that runs your ZendTo site. So if you're sharing the
> server/VM between multiple services, tread carefully.
>
> Cheers,

> Julian Field MEng CEng CITP MBCS MIEEE MACM
>
> The current UK shipping forecast:
> Thames, Dover, Wight, Portland, Plymouth: East or northeast 3 to 5. Smooth or
> slight at first in Thames and Dover, otherwise mainly slight or moderate,
> becoming rough later in west Plymouth. Fair. Good.

'Adversity is like a strong wind. I don't mean just that it holds
  us back from places we might otherwise go. It also tears away from
  us all but the things that cannot be torn, so that afterward we see
  ourselves as we really are, and not merely as we might like to be.'
  - Arthur Golden