[ZendTo] Speeding up Apache

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Tue Jun 23 18:16:27 BST 2020

On 6/23/2020 8:48 AM, Jules via ZendTo wrote:
> I've been working on some instructions to speed up Apache (and hopefully
> reduce its memory usage) by switching from the "prefork" model to the
> "worker" model, and using php-fpm instead of mod_php.

I hope this will be an option, rather than a straight-up change. It is
my experience, albeit several years old, that gains from switching
Apache to the threaded-handler ("worker") were strongly
architecture-dependent.

Our SPARC servers with +100 thread-handlers were screaming-fast with the
threaded-handler. Our quad-core Intel servers performed no better with
the "worker" than with the "prefork" handler. I have no idea how VMware
(or other virtual server platforms) will affect this calculus.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration
State of Alaska