[ZendTo] Speeding up Apache

Jules Jules at Zend.To
Tue Jun 23 17:48:51 BST 2020

Folks,

I've been working on some instructions to speed up Apache (and hopefully
reduce its memory usage) by switching from the "prefork" model to the
"worker" model, and using php-fpm instead of mod_php.

I haven't got any ZendTo sites where the load difference would be very
noticeable, but I suspect some of you do.
I've worked out how to do it on Ubuntu/Debian (hopefully most recent
versions!) and on CentOS/RedHat 7.

If I write up the instructions as a couple of "How To" guides on the
website, would you like to try them out?

It's pretty straightforward, you don't need to know anything much about
how Apache works. But the changes will affect *all* websites on the
server/VM that runs your ZendTo site. So if you're sharing the server/VM
between multiple services, tread carefully.

The current UK shipping forecast:
Thames, Dover, Wight, Portland, Plymouth: East or northeast 3 to 5. Smooth or
slight at first in Thames and Dover, otherwise mainly slight or moderate,
becoming rough later in west Plymouth. Fair. Good.