[ZendTo] Recommended Ubuntu setup for zend.to server

Jules Jules at Zend.To
Tue Jul 14 16:37:48 BST 2020

Adam,

With only 512MB, do you use the encryption feature?
If so, what's the peak memory use just as it starts the encryption process?
That's when it is turning your passphrase into something suitable for
use as a key, and usually that's where you're most likely to run out of RAM.

P.S. Do you run it for cam.ac.uk? (You don't appear to be a cl.cam.ac.uk
address). Or just a bit of cam.ac..uk?

On 14/07/2020 08:19, Adam Thorn via ZendTo wrote:
> On 12/07/2020 19:12, Marlon Deerr via ZendTo wrote:
>> Thanks Jules,
>>
>> I appreciate the response.  I’ll rebuild using Ubuntu 20.04 instead.
>>
>> What about sizing out memory? We have roughly 90+ employees but of
>> that, I would say roughly 40+ of those will be actively using the
>> service. I was thinking of assigning 32GB to it but is that overkill?
>
> 32GB sounds excessive to me. I'm running on Ubuntu 18.04 with 512MB;
> the VM is dedicated to ZendTo so is basically only running apache. Our
> usage is light enough that I'm happy using sqlite, so you may need to
> allow a little extra if you use a "real" database server.
>
> Even if you expect 40 active users, how likely is it that they'll all
> be up/downloading at the same point in time...?
>
> Adam

'In Flanders fields the poppies blow
  Between the crosses, row on row,
  That mark our place: and in the sky
  The larks still bravely singing fly
  Scarce heard amid the guns below.

  We are the dead: Short days ago,
  We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
  Loved and were loved: and now we lie
  In Flanders fields!

  Take up our quarrel with the foe
  To you, from failing hands, we throw
  The torch: be yours to hold it high
  If ye break faith with us who die,
  We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
  In Flanders fields.' Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae

Composed at the battlefront on May 3, 1915
during the second battle of Ypres, Belgium