[ZendTo] Abandoned files in 'incoming'

Jules Jules at Zend.To
Thu Dec 10 15:28:29 GMT 2020

John,

On Tue 08/12/20 20:28, John Thurston via ZendTo wrote:

> On 12/3/2020 2:52 AM, Jules wrote:
>>> 1) I see a reference in the preferences:
>>>
>>>   // This is where your drop-offs are stored.
>>>   // It must be on the same filesystem as /var/zendto/incoming, and
>>>   // on preferably on the same filesystem as /var/zendto.
>>>   'dropboxDirectory'     => NSSDROPBOX_DATA_DIR."dropoffs",
>>>
>>> Why the "same filesystem" requirement for 'incoming' and 'dropoffs'?
>
>> Because it basically does a "mv" from the incoming directory to the
>> dropoffs directory.
>> If they are on the same filesystem, that is an instant atomic operation.
>> If they aren't, that could take minutes, where the user will just be
>> left waiting and wondering why his upload got to 100% and then just
>> sat there!
>

>>> 2) The lines above define 'dropoffs'. Where is 'incoming' defined?
>> php.ini. It's the temporary upload location that PHP uses.
>
> Found it, thank you.
>
> Why isn't this defined in preferences (with the rest)?
Historical, that's all. At that point I probably didn't know about
ini_set(). :-)

> It could be explicitly listed, or relative to NSSDROPBOX_DATA_DIR
> (especially considering we'd like all that stuff to be in a common
> file system).
Yet it should.
Right now I have an important bug fix to get out the door (I really must
remember to create git branches occasionally), but this will definitely
get added to the list.

> By tweaking php.ini, and the path in the scavenging cron job, have I
> set myself up for complications in the next ZendTo version-update?
You shouldn't have, no. It won't overwrite the cron job as you've
changed it, and ZendTo never touches php.ini again after the Installer
has done its bit.

Which also reminds me that I need to improve the Installer. Pretty much
all distros now have a /etc/php.d directory of some sort somewhere, so I
can just put all the ZendTo settings in a new file in there, and not
need to touch the main php.ini file at all.

1 change I am definitely going to make right now though, is to change
the yum/rpm upgrade behaviour so that modified *.tpl template files are
moved out of the way and the new ones become active.
I get too many queries from people who slightly tweaked one of the
template files, and after they upgrade they can't understand why it breaks.

I won't overwrite their tweaked file, but I will now move it to
*.rpmsave and put the new one in place. They will then immediately see a
ZendTo service that works, but is just missing the odd bit of
customisation they did.

> Do things because you should, not just because you can.
>
> John Thurston    907-465-8591
> John.Thurston at alaska.gov
> Department of Administration
> State of Alaska

'Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out
  the pain.' - Joseph Campbell