[ZendTo] Abandoned files in 'incoming'

Jules Jules at Zend.To
Fri Dec 11 09:18:10 GMT 2020

John,

Bad news on this one, I'm afraid.

I just checked the PHP docs, and the location of the incoming directory
(normally /var/zendto/incoming) can *only* set in php.ini or httpd.conf.
In
     https://www.php.net/manual/en/ini.list.php
"upload_tmp_dir" is listed as being of type "PHP_INI_SYSTEM" which,
according to
     https://www.php.net/manual/en/configuration.changes.modes.php
means it can't be set in running PHP code.

So the definition is going to have to stay where it is. Sorry about that.

On Thu 10/12/20 15:28, Jules via ZendTo wrote:
> John,

>>> Because it basically does a "mv" from the incoming directory to the
>>> dropoffs directory.
>>> If they are on the same filesystem, that is an instant atomic
>>> operation.
>>> If they aren't, that could take minutes, where the user will just be
>>> left waiting and wondering why his upload got to 100% and then just
>>> sat there!

>>> php.ini. It's the temporary upload location that PHP uses.
>>
>> Found it, thank you.
>>
>> Why isn't this defined in preferences (with the rest)?
> Historical, that's all. At that point I probably didn't know about
> ini_set(). :-)
>

>> It could be explicitly listed, or relative to NSSDROPBOX_DATA_DIR
>> (especially considering we'd like all that stuff to be in a common
>> file system).
> Yet it should.
> Right now I have an important bug fix to get out the door (I really
> must remember to create git branches occasionally), but this will
> definitely get added to the list.
>
>> By tweaking php.ini, and the path in the scavenging cron job, have I
>> set myself up for complications in the next ZendTo version-update?
> You shouldn't have, no. It won't overwrite the cron job as you've
> changed it, and ZendTo never touches php.ini again after the Installer
> has done its bit.
>
> Which also reminds me that I need to improve the Installer. Pretty
> much all distros now have a /etc/php.d directory of some sort
> somewhere, so I can just put all the ZendTo settings in a new file in
> there, and not need to touch the main php.ini file at all.
>
> 1 change I am definitely going to make right now though, is to change
> the yum/rpm upgrade behaviour so that modified *.tpl template files
> are moved out of the way and the new ones become active.
> I get too many queries from people who slightly tweaked one of the
> template files, and after they upgrade they can't understand why it
> breaks.
>
> I won't overwrite their tweaked file, but I will now move it to
> *.rpmsave and put the new one in place. They will then immediately see
> a ZendTo service that works, but is just missing the odd bit of
> customisation they did.
>
> Cheers,
> Jules.
>

>> --
>> Do things because you should, not just because you can.
>>
>> John Thurston    907-465-8591
>> John.Thurston at alaska.gov
>> Department of Administration
>> State of Alaska

> Julian Field MEng CEng CITP MBCS MIEEE MACM
>
> 'Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out
>   the pain.' - Joseph Campbell

'I've heard that it's possible to grow up. I've just never met
  anyone who's actually done it.' - Meredith Grey, Grey's Anatomy