[ZendTo] Authenticator after update

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Tue Jul 3 22:43:23 BST 2018

Maybe this is old news to those who keep on top of their version
updates. But since I've just invested an hour figuring it, I thought I'd
stuff this into the archives so I can find it again in a couple of
years. And maybe someone else will find it useful.

The preferences.php.rpmnew available after an upgrade is box-stock. In
my case, the important bit is it defined local authentication. Since I'm
using ldap authorization, upgrade_preferences_php tells me it has
removed all of my ldap specifications as "obsolete settings". It tells
me all the settings it has removed, and I can put them all back. But
that seems a long way round the barn. 'twould be better if my settings
were just retained without me having to copy/paste/move them all.

Reaching into preferences.php.rpmnew, commenting out:
   'authenticator' => 'Local',
and removing the comments from:
   'authenticator'         => 'LDAP',
as well as the comments on the other ldap specifications I need

means upgrade_preferences_php recognizes these as not-obsolete settings
and will retain the values defined in my originating preferences.php

The result is then a ready-to-use preferences file.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration
State of Alaska