[ZendTo] Request for help for a new feature

Adam Thorn alt36 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 16 17:26:32 GMT 2018

On 16/01/2018 16:56, Jules wrote:

> However we do it, I need a library of filetype icons. And yes, Google
> will find you zillions of the things. But...
> 1) it needs to be either free or very cheap,
> 2) it needs to be free to redistribute,
> 3) it needs to not break anyone's copyright (so you can't raid artwork
> from the original app),
> 4) it needs to work at a small display size,
> 5) there need to be enough different icons for it to be worth the
> bother, and
> 6) it needs to look good.
>
> Do any of you know of a decent set of filetype icons that fit those
> requirements?
> I'm struggling to find one.

I've tended to look at Gnome desktop themes for this sort of thing in
the past, e.g.

https://github.com/vinceliuice/emerald-icon-theme

1-3) it's under a Creative Commons license (specifically, CC BY-SA 4.0)
4) they're SVGs, with variants aimed at 16/32/64 pixel size
5) About 500 mimemtypes look to be handled in
https://github.com/vinceliuice/emerald-icon-theme/tree/master/Emerald/mimetypes/16
, with 140 distinct icons (some entries in the list are symlinks)
6) I think they look fine, but that's a matter of personal preference :)

Adam