[ZendTo] A head's up about the mailing list

Jules Jules at Zend.To
Mon Nov 14 11:02:04 GMT 2016

On 14/11/2016 09:54, Mike Brudenell wrote:
> Hi, Jules -
>
> On 14 November 2016 at 09:18, Jules <Jules at zend.to
> <mailto:Jules at zend.to>> wrote:
>
>     I've just fixed the lack of IPv6 in the SPF record. I'm very wary
>     of updating our mailman install, as there are a lot of lists on
>     it, and lots of people would be very upset if a "yum upgrade
>     mailman" did something horrible. I'm not even supposed to be
>     looking after our mail system any more, I just do the minimum
>     necessary fixes to keep it working.
>
>     Let's see if the IPv6 SPF record is enough to keep us going for
>     now. :-/
>

> Yay! Your message came through and passed Google's SPF check. Many thanks!
Yay! :-)

> As for Mailman, I understand where you're coming from. Looking at the
> headers of your message you're running GNU Mailman 2.1.9 there, which
> is getting a little long in the tooth: it was released in 2006. :-)
>
>   * It's not until version 2.1.16 that Mailman started including
>     support for DMARC, using the /from_is_list/ feature;
>   * In 2.1.19 they deprecated the above, replacing it with
>     /dmarc_moderation_action/, as described in Mailman and DMARC
>     <https://wiki.list.org/DEV/DMARC>
>   * The current version is now 2.1.23
>
> Just be aware that you might end up losing some of the community here
> when their sites switch to tight DMARC policies: either the members
> not being able to post, or even being unsubscribed. (And of course
> this will apply to other lists the service hosts.)
The sad bit is that if/when my old Mailman service gets rolled into the
University's main mailing lists service, they run Majordomo (no, I'm not
kidding, nor about them running Majorcool either!).

So if/when that happens, I'll have to move the ZendTo list elsewhere.
I've got the other half of a physical server (It runs 2 VMs for me) in
Ireland that can do it. I haven't used that half since the MailScanner
list got moved off it, so there'll be some rust removal to do first.

Thanks for the warning.

> Cheers,
> Mike B-)
>
> --
> Systems Administrator & Change Manager
> IT Services, University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5DD, UK
> Tel: +44-(0)1904-323811
>
> Web:www.york.ac.uk/it-services <http://www.york.ac.uk/it-services>
> Disclaimer:www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm
> <http://www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm>

Julian Field MEng MBCS CITP CEng

'What happened in the past that was painful, has a great deal to
  do with what we are today.' - William Glasser