[ZendTo] A head's up about the mailing list

Mike Brudenell mike.brudenell at york.ac.uk
Mon Nov 14 09:54:41 GMT 2016

Hi, Jules -

On 14 November 2016 at 09:18, Jules <Jules at zend.to> wrote:

> I've just fixed the lack of IPv6 in the SPF record. I'm very wary of
> updating our mailman install, as there are a lot of lists on it, and lots
> of people would be very upset if a "yum upgrade mailman" did something
> horrible. I'm not even supposed to be looking after our mail system any
> more, I just do the minimum necessary fixes to keep it working.
>
> Let's see if the IPv6 SPF record is enough to keep us going for now. :-/

Yay! Your message came through and passed Google's SPF check. Many thanks!

As for Mailman, I understand where you're coming from. Looking at the
headers of your message you're running GNU Mailman 2.1.9 there, which is
getting a little long in the tooth: it was released in 2006. :-)

   - It's not until version 2.1.16 that Mailman started including support
   for DMARC, using the *from_is_list* feature;
   - In 2.1.19 they deprecated the above, replacing it with
   *dmarc_moderation_action*, as described in Mailman and DMARC
   <https://wiki.list.org/DEV/DMARC>
   - The current version is now 2.1.23

Just be aware that you might end up losing some of the community here when
their sites switch to tight DMARC policies: either the members not being
able to post, or even being unsubscribed. (And of course this will apply to
other lists the service hosts.)

Cheers,
Mike B-)

--
Systems Administrator & Change Manager
IT Services, University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5DD, UK

Web: www.york.ac.uk/it-services
Disclaimer: www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm