[ZendTo] Re: ZendTo 4.11-6 2GB limited transfers

Mike Brudenell mike.brudenell at york.ac.uk
Wed Jun 3 10:20:45 BST 2015

Hi, Marcos -

Which web browser and version are you using to upload the file(s) to
ZendTo? There were (and I guess still are) issues with different browsers,
different versions of browsers, and even the same version but on different
platforms that make their ability to upload files over certain size
thresholds an interesting challenge:

   - all handle uploads up to 2GB OK
   - many handle uploads between 2GB and 4GB OK but not over 4GB
   - some handle uploads over 4GB OK

You might recognise those numbers as Magic Numbers of the Universe:

   - 2GB = maximum value of a signed 32 bit integer
   - 4GB = maximum value of an unsigned 32 bit integer
   - >4GB = needs a 64 bit integer

Web browsers with problems can fail in different ways, such as:

   - failing quickly
   - appearing to hang and never complete the upload
   - navigating/trying to navigate away from the upload page

It's probably changed since I did my tests way back when we started using
ZendTo but at that time we found no Windows browsers that worked with files
over 4GB, one or two on a Mac that did work, and I think one on Ubuntu that
worked.

So your next step is to test your setup using different browsers — eg,
Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, etc. Where you have a
choice, make sure you're running the 64-bit version of the browser (which
will likely require a 64-bit version of your OS as well?)

Cheers,
Mike B-)

On 3 June 2015 at 08:09, <marcos.parrell at havasmg.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Sorry for interrupt you in the middle of new beta development but I have
> found an issue on existing 4.11 ZendTo Ubuntu based that you could be aware
> of.
>
> I have downloaded the OVA (ZendTo-Ubuntu-x64-4.11-6.ova) and deployed it
> making the minimal changes for being able to login and make a test. The
> tool works properly for any kind of transfer without any issue or problem.
>
> Then I make an update of the system, configured LDAP authentication and
> increased the values of 'maxBytesForDropoff' and  'maxBytesForFile' to 20GB
> (21474836470) and after this, ZendTo is unable to make transfer superiors
> to 2GB, when you start this kind of transfers the incoming file rise in
> /var/zendto/incoming/ until it reach the 2GB limit, then it was deleted and
> the browser keeps trying to send it without returning any error.
>
> In php.ini (/etc/php5/apache2/php.ini), after updating the system, both
> post_max_size and upload_max_filesize are set to 50GB.
>
> Are you aware about this "issue", do you know how can i resolve it?.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
> Marcos.

Systems Administrator & Change Manager
IT Services, University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5DD, UK
Tel: +44-(0)1904-323811

Web: www.york.ac.uk/it-services
Disclaimer: www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm