[ZendTo] Re: Probably a stupid questionŠ .

Phil Daws uxbod at splatnix.net
Thu Aug 8 10:10:53 BST 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Thurston" <john.thurston at alaska.gov>
To: "ZendTo Users" <zendto at zend.to>
Sent: Monday, 15 July, 2013 5:08:33 PM
Subject: [ZendTo] Re: Probably a stupid questionŠ .

On 7/13/2013 8:21 AM, Gray McCord wrote:
> Thanks, John!  I'll give this a try. BTW, when you talk about less
> throughput, can you tell about how much?

I did not perform benchmarks in either configuration. But based on my
personal observations it is no more than half the throughput. Note, this
isn't responsiveness or latency I'm discussing, this is time required to
transfer a large file.

If this were a mission-critical application, I don't think I'd deploy it
this way. Since this is a kinda-best-effort application for us, the
throughput isn't the deciding factor. I hope, someday, to move the
application behind a NetScaler and retire my apache proxy.

YMMV. In my deployment, I'm proxying https via https, so there is a lot
of protocol overhead. I am not using "jumbo" frames. I have made no
effort to optimize my https cipher negotiations or implement ssl
off-loading. My ZendTo is running on linux on VMWare ESXi. I don't know
if VMWare or its networking is is optimally configured.
--
You could always front ZendTo with HAProxy and if you trust your internal network you could go the route of:

Internet (HTTP/S) -> HAProxy (Redirects HTTP -> HTTPS FrontEnd) -> HAProxy (HTTPS) -> ZendTo (HTTP)

This will work as-long as you use the 1.5dev branch of HAProxy.  HAProxy will handle all the SSL aspect of the connection.

Thanks.