[ZendTo] Re: Zendto wishlist

Jules Jules at Zend.To
Fri Mar 23 10:43:17 GMT 2012

On 16/03/2012 15:13, Craig Chambers wrote:
> Hi Jules,
>
> My company has been using Zendto for over a year now but I am still
> having some problems getting people to use it vs. YouSendIt.com. I
> thought I would forward a wish list of sorts based on the feedback of
> users and management. Any progress made on these items would help me
> mitigate the concerns of the staff and increase buy-in.
>
>  1. *BCC/Monitoring email box.* While I think it is personally a bit
>     Orwellian, The management wants to have a way to BCC an email
>     address for all inbound and outbound drop-offs (Files sent to
>     employees and files sent from employees). This is a real sticking
>     point for the management and don't want to use Zendto without it.
>     Think of it as a monitoring mailbox. I have already explained to
>     management that administrators can see all mailboxes and that
>     there is a log of all files sent but they wanted something more
>     real time. Beyond being alerted to employees sending out
>     inappropriate items, they also said it helps them be more aware of
>     how employees are interacting with clients and allowed them to
>     know if files were being sent as promised. I poked around the
>     files looking for the code what sends the email, thinking I could
>     just add the email address but wasn't able to find it. If you can
>     point me to where to add it to the code to BCC when ever an email
>     is sent that would be great. Ideally through, it would be a
>     setting in the preferences.php file and would only BCC the
>     monitoring email box when a drop-off has occurred (not the request
>     drop-off emails or the emails confirming the address is real).

Edit /opt/zendto/lib/NSSDropoff.php
Look at line 766 and you should find a line that just says
                 $emailSubject,
Change that to
                 $emailSubject . PHP_EOL . 'Bcc:
mymonitoraddress at domain.com'
and that should be all that is required.
This could be expanded to a preferences.php setting fairly easily, but
I'm not yet sure how many people need this feature. In this project I am
*really* wary of feature creep.

>  1. *Address book.* We send files to the same people A LOT. I know
>     that this has been brought up before but I thought I would add my
>     vote and how I envision it working. When a logged in user enters
>     an email address there would be a "Save address" check box next to
>     it. If that box is checked it would add that email address to a
>     list that could be accessed from a drop down menu (i.e. "in the
>     Enter Recipients box there would be a drop down menu that would
>     allow them to choose a saved email address from the address book).
>     For us it would work best if the address book was universal (any
>     saved address is available for anyone) but I know that might not
>     be practical for situations like universities, A per user address
>     book would also work, or maybe it could be set to per user or
>     universal in the preference.php file. Regardless this would be a
>     huge help.

Understood. Still hard to implement though.

>  1. *Add to library.* While I really like the implementation of the
>     library function it is really that useful for our current
>     employees. What would be ideal for us is an "Add to library" check
>     box next to files that we are sending. When a use checks the box
>     the file is uploaded to there dropbox folder but a copy is also
>     added to the library folder. Again, for us adding it to the
>     general Library folder would be the best option but adding it to
>     the personal library would also work.

That's not easy either. But I see your point.

>  1. *Windows client. *I know this was proposed so I am just bumping it
>     so to speak. Not sure where this was left off as far as
>     demand/potential.

I'll check up on how this is progressing.

Jules.

> Let me know if you have any questions. If anyone else feels these
> options would be useful please let the group know.

'It's okay to live without all the answers' - Charlie Eppes, 2011
'That is the land of lost content,
  I see it shining plain,
  The happy highways where I went,
  And cannot come again.' - A.E. Houseman