[ZendTo] Re: Upload stalls and connection resets

Mike Brudenell mike.brudenell at york.ac.uk
Tue Jun 19 16:16:14 BST 2012

Hi, all -

I'm new to the list, but just picking up on a problem reported previously
about uploads stalling and/or getting connection resets.

In Jules' reply of Thu May 31 10:25:59 he finishes by saying (with the full
quote at the end of this message):

It works beautifully on a Mac, as the apps are properly 64-bit as well as
> the OS.

Sadly our experience here at York is different. :-(

We are running ZendTo 4.08 and I have been using various browsers to try
and upload a 4.74 Gbyte test file to our DropOff Service, from my Apple Mac
running OS X 10.7.4 with an on-site wired LAN connection running at 100
Mbits/sec:

   - *Safari* *(version 5.1.7)* — the upload works and the drop-off
   successfully created :-) and…
   - *Opera* (version 12.00) — the upload works and the drop-off
   successfully created :-) BUT…
   - *Chrome* *(version 19.0.1084.56)* — uploads to 99%, locks up Chrome
   for a while, then usually Chrome unlocks (the alternative is it freezes and
   needs a Force Quit) but fails saying the connection was reset
   - *Firefox* *(version 12.0)* — starts upload but fails soon afterwards,
   asking whether you want to navigate away from the page; answering Yes
   reports the connection was reset, answering No just seems to stop the
   upload and deletes the partial drop-off
   - *Camino* *(version 2.1.2)* — starts upload, goes further than Firefox
   but then it, too, asks whether you want to navigate away from the page;
   answering Yes reports the connection was reset, answering No just seems to
   stop the upload and deletes the partial drop-off

Safari and Firefox both have their *Open in 32-bit mode* checkboxes *
unticked* in their *Get Info* boxes; neither Chrome nor Camino offer this
checkbox.

I've tried with a smaller test file of around 2.8 Gbytes from my Mac and
that went up from Chrome OK. (So perhaps there might be a 4 Gbyte (rather
than 2 Gbyte) barrier affecting Chrome on OS X?)

One of my colleagues has been experimenting with a 7 Gbyte file and
browsers on Windows 7 and Linux with these results:

   - *Chrome* *(on Windows 7 64-bit)* — did full upload then failed with an
   error (which unfortunately we can't remember!)
   - *IE 8 **(on Windows 7 64-bit)* — starts upload but fails soon
   afterwards, asking whether you want to navigate away from the page;
   answering Yes reports the connection was reset, answering No just seems to
   stop the upload and deletes the partial drop-off
   - *IE 9 64-bit* *(on Windows 7 64-bit)* — starts upload but fails soon
   afterwards, asking whether you want to navigate away from the page;
   answering Yes reports the connection was reset, answering No just seems to
   stop the upload and deletes the partial drop-off
   - *Firefox* *(on Windows 7 64-bit)* — starts upload but fails soon
   afterwards, asking whether you want to navigate away from the page;
   answering Yes reports the connection was reset, answering No just seems to
   stop the upload and deletes the partial drop-off
   - *Opera* *(on Windows 7 64-bit)* — uploaded an empty file (but probably
   because Opera is still 32-bit?)
   - *Chrome* *(on Linux 64-bit)* — the upload works and the drop-off
   successfully created :-)
   - *Firefox* *(on Linux 64-bit)* — starts upload but fails soon
   afterwards, asking whether you want to navigate away from the page;
   answering Yes reports the connection was reset, answering No just seems to
   stop the upload and deletes the partial drop-off

These tests were done on Windows 7 and Linux running in VMs. Again, small
files of less than 2 Gbytes seem to go through fine.

Is the problem purely a browser problem? How come we we are seeing problems
with Chrome and Firefox when Jules isn't? (We're not using any proxies etc
between the web browser and the server: they're all on our LAN.)
Me confoozed!

Cheers,
Mike B-)

--
IT Services, The University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5DD, UK
Tel: +44-1904-323811

<rant subject="buggy browsers"> :-)

Make sure you are running on a 64-bit OS for starters, and running a
> 64-bit browser (i.e. *not* the standard IE9 in Windows 7 x64 but the
> 64-bit version that you can't make your default browser for some utterly
> braindead reason) if at all possible. IE9 64-bit does the job pretty
> well, as does Chrome.

And yes, Firefox isn't good enough.

Unfortunately, uploads over 2GB isn't a feature a lot of users make a
> fuss about, so the vendors can't be arsed to fix the horribly buggy
> upload code they use.

In short, use a better browser. Sorry if that doesn't help when you've
> got several thousand managed desktops all using 32-bit IE7 or something
> like that. :-(

There really isn't a lot I can do about this, other than resort to Flash
> (yuck! I'm not doing that) for the upload process. Sorry there's no
> better news.

</rant>