[ZendTo] Re: Upload stalls and connection resets

Jules Jules at Zend.To
Tue Jun 19 16:51:51 BST 2012

Unfortunately browser versions change fairly fast, so results are not
valid for very long.

Currently on a Mac running Mountain Lion Developer Preview 4 update 1.
Uploading a 4.8GB file.

Chrome uploads the file once, then silently starts over and the Chrome
progress counter in the status bar shows the amount uploaded reset to
0%. It does this repeatedly without ever apparently either stopping or
completing.
Safari uploads the file correctly. It doesn't show the ZendTo progress
bar (the onSubmit to show the progress popup never gets executed due to
another bug in Safari).
Firefox shows the ZendTo progress bar but never updates it. It sends
lots and lots of data, but the Apache receiving it never stores anything
anywhere. So heaven only knows what Firefox has told Apache to do!

:-(

Not a lot I can do about all these problems, they are caused by the
browsers.

Jules.

On 19/06/2012 16:16, Mike Brudenell wrote:
> Hi, all -
>
> I'm new to the list, but just picking up on a problem reported
> previously about uploads stalling and/or getting connection resets.
>
> In Jules' reply of Thu May 31 10:25:59 he finishes by saying (with the
> full quote at the end of this message):
>
>     It works beautifully on a Mac, as the apps are properly 64-bit as
>     well as the OS.
>

> Sadly our experience here at York is different. :-(
>
> We are running ZendTo 4.08 and I have been using various browsers to
> try and upload a 4.74 Gbyte test file to our DropOff Service, from my
> Apple Mac running OS X 10.7.4 with an on-site wired LAN connection
> running at 100 Mbits/sec:
>
>   * *Safari* /(version 5.1.7)/ --- the upload works and the drop-off
>     successfully created :-) and...
>   * *Opera* (version 12.00) --- the upload works and the drop-off
>     successfully created :-) BUT...
>   * *Chrome* /(version 19.0.1084.56)/ --- uploads to 99%, locks up
>     Chrome for a while, then usually Chrome unlocks (the alternative
>     is it freezes and needs a Force Quit) but fails saying the
>     connection was reset
>   * *Firefox* /(version 12.0)/ --- starts upload but fails soon
>     afterwards, asking whether you want to navigate away from the
>     page; answering Yes reports the connection was reset, answering No
>     just seems to stop the upload and deletes the partial drop-off
>   * *Camino* /(version 2.1.2)/ --- starts upload, goes further than
>     Firefox but then it, too, asks whether you want to navigate away
>     from the page; answering Yes reports the connection was reset,
>     answering No just seems to stop the upload and deletes the partial
>     drop-off
>
> Safari and Firefox both have their /Open in 32-bit mode/ checkboxes
> _unticked_ in their /Get Info/ boxes; neither Chrome nor Camino offer
> this checkbox.
>
> I've tried with a smaller test file of around 2.8 Gbytes from my Mac
> and that went up from Chrome OK. (So perhaps there might be a 4 Gbyte
> (rather than 2 Gbyte) barrier affecting Chrome on OS X?)
>
> One of my colleagues has been experimenting with a 7 Gbyte file and
> browsers on Windows 7 and Linux with these results:
>
>   * *Chrome* /(on Windows 7 64-bit)/ --- did full upload then failed
>     with an error (which unfortunately we can't remember!)
>   * *IE 8 */(on Windows 7/ 64-bit/)/ --- starts upload but fails soon
>     afterwards, asking whether you want to navigate away from the
>     page; answering Yes reports the connection was reset, answering No
>     just seems to stop the upload and deletes the partial drop-off
>   * *IE 9 64-bit* /(on Windows 7/ 64-bit/)/ --- starts upload but
>     fails soon afterwards, asking whether you want to navigate away
>     from the page; answering Yes reports the connection was reset,
>     answering No just seems to stop the upload and deletes the partial
>     drop-off
>   * *Firefox* /(on Windows 7/ 64-bit/)/ --- starts upload but fails
> [...]

'It's okay to live without all the answers' - Charlie Eppes, 2011
'That is the land of lost content,
  I see it shining plain,
  The happy highways where I went,
  And cannot come again.' - A.E. Houseman