[ZendTo] Re: Questions about a Centos 5.6/7 installation

Jules Jules at Zend.To
Sat Nov 12 11:58:24 GMT 2011

On 11/11/2011 16:02, Steve Campbell wrote:
> KVM?
>
> On 11/11/2011 10:28 AM, John Cooper wrote:
>> On 11/11/11 14:46, Steve Campbell wrote:
>>> I've just finished getting a working Centos installation of ZendTo on a
>>> Centos Xen VM for testing purposes. I've got a few questions that I
>>> couldn't find the answers for in the archives.
>>>
>> Answering my own question to you - Red Hat dropped Xen in RHEL6 and
>> moved to LVM so yes you will have to use Centos 5 :-)
> I was hoping to get a little details about using the vm without VMWare.
> I've googled a little but what I found was not clear. It seems there are
> some vmhd (?) to xen converters, but the online ZendTo documentation
> indicates I have to have one of the VMWare servers running to install
> the vm image.
You need to convert the ".vmdk" file to whatever format your VM system
needs. Pretty much everything should be able to do this, as vmdk is such
a widespread format (it is used in the widespread OVF format for VMs). I
would hope there wasn't a great problem converting from vmdk to whatever
you need. Once you've done that, just wrap a VM around the virtual hard
disk in whatever VM system you want to use. You don't have to use VMware
by any means.