[ZendTo] Re: Questions about a Centos 5.6/7 installation

Jules Jules at Zend.To
Sat Nov 12 12:07:51 GMT 2011

On 11/11/2011 14:46, Steve Campbell wrote:
> I've just finished getting a working Centos installation of ZendTo on a
> Centos Xen VM for testing purposes. I've got a few questions that I
> couldn't find the answers for in the archives.
>
> Firstly, I found a thread on the apc settings that are to go into either
> php.ini or apc.ini which indicated someone else didn't have those
> settings and didn't know where to put them. I, too, didn't have those
> settings and was wondering about them. The thread ended without an
> answer from Jule's last question to the OP. Seems to work without them
> though.
>
> Running Centos with the Xen kernel, is there a way to install the
> downloadable vm without having to have VMWare installed anywhere?
>
> I went through the complete rpm install on my test box, and the PHP mods
> were a strain, to say the least. The instructions seem to be all there,
> but it's just a long and drawn out process to modify PHP so that users
> can upload very large files.
Agreed, 100%. That's why I distribute the VMs so you don't have to do it
yourself. But if you follow my instructions carefully, it will work.
>   It's a little confusing at first to have to
> remove php, install php52, and them modify it, but I guess I understand
> why all of it's done. If I don't intend to allow files larger than 2GB,
> can I skip the modification to php52 and run with the config settings
> set to something less than 2GB without any problems?
Yes, if you don't want uploads >2GB then don't bother doing all the PHP
recompiling. But most sites find their users want uploads >2GB once they
actually start using it seriously.

> Seems that Centos 5 has PHP 5.3 available from their default repos. I'm
> not sure if all the required packages are there, but if they are, can I
> replace the default PHP 5.1 with the Centos 5 PHP 5.3 packages if I
> still want to keep the<2GB limits? I typically use rpmforge, so the
> Clam packages would be available, but not sure about some of the others.
Yes, you don't need to rebuild the PHP stuff if you aren't bothered
about >2GB uploads.

> I work for a company that has a couple of dozen sales staff that sends
> out very large proofs of advertisements by email. These emails really
> clog up my mail server since I need to set my MailScanner size limits to
> a large number, and my servers aren't the newest in the world. ZendTo
> appears to be a great tool to get around this if the sales staff and
> customers would use it. Thanks, Julian, for offering this.
My pleasure! :-)

> Lastly, MyZendTo seems to be a little confusing to me. How does it
> differ from the default ZendTo? Does it require another instance of
> apache, an apache virtualhost of it's own, and what are the advantages
> to our local users that they wouldn't have it made to use ZendTo?
MyZendTo was written for 1 particular company. It basically provides
each user with their own sort of "web-based file store" so that company
could stop their employees using Dropbox or other off-site services and
keep all their files on their own servers, while still giving their
employees full access to their files over the web. To be honest, I doubt
you probably want to use it. Ignore it for now. :)

'Teach a man to reason, and he will think for a lifetime.' - Phil Plait