[ZendTo] Occasional longer retention period?

Jules Jules at Zend.To
Wed Nov 4 11:25:06 GMT 2020

Hi John,

My "official" solution to this is to use the new setting
     'defaultNumberOfDaysToRetain'
and set this to your normal short lifetime.
Set
     'numberOfDaysToRetain'
to the much longer time you occasionally need.

Most people won't bother changing the life time on the "new drop-off"
form from the default value it gives them (the short one). But if they
need to, they can increase it up to the maximum you've set (the long one).

But yes, you're quite right, just tweaking the "lifeseconds" value in
the relevant record in the "dropoff" table should do the trick for you.

The instance of ZendTo I run for the University of Southampton (my
employer) has recently been getting a bit big. We had to increase its
drop-off space from 3 TB to 4 TB the other week. To help rein this in,
we've just dropped the default lifetime from 32 days to 22, while
leaving the maximum lifetime still at 32 days. Hopefully in a month's
time, we'll start to see average disk usage drop a bit.