[ZendTo] Reminder email sent to wrong recipients

Jules Jules at Zend.To
Mon Jul 13 17:41:08 BST 2020

Ricky,

This is an interesting one!

You say ZendTo was updated the day before.
 From what version to what version?

rpm -q zendto
will get your current version, and if you look in /opt/zendto/config/old
you should have all the previous preferences.php filles, which should
give you enough to work out what the previous running version was.

The recipients of the reminder about XYZ: did they also receive their
correct reminders for ABC and/or DEF? Or weren't they due to be sent anyway?

In what order were dropoffs ABC, DEF and XYZ created? The creation date
is one of the available columns in the Global List of dropoffs page.

If you can answer that lot, I will hopefully have more information to
see if I can spot a bug.

On 13/07/2020 17:32, Ricky Boone via ZendTo wrote:
> I'm looking into an issue that was reported to me this morning.  What
> appears to have happened was that reminder emails for a drop-off were
> sent, and the log indicates that multiple internal recipients were
> sent reminders, but the emails they received were for someone else's
> dropoff. Specifically, the log indicates they were notified about
> dropoffs ABC and DEF, but the email they received included dropoff
> details for XYZ.  The logs do not indicate anything related to XYZ was
> sent to these recipients, but I do have a sample email from one of the
> incorrect recipients that indicates they did.  The system logs
> indicate that ZendTo was updated the day before, however the upgrade
> script did not kick off.  Nothing in the logs indicate an issue with
> the notification script running.  The system in question is running
> CentOS 7.
>
> The instance uses a MariaDB backend instead of SQLite (used SQLite
> before, ran into an unrelated corruption issue that made it difficult
> to troubleshoot, so hard-cut over to a MariaDB backend during low
> usage).  I confirmed the related IDs do not include the recipients in
> question.
>
> This is the first time I've seen this, so I'm not sure it was due to
> the upgrade step not being completed (though that should only impact
> configuration settings, not DB schema, etc.).  I'm not sure how I
> would be able to reproduce this yet, but I'm suspecting a value for
> one drop-off was inadvertently reused before it was cleared and
> updated with the correct value.  For now, I just wanted to ping the
> mailing list to see if they've seen similar, or to at least alert
> Jules to a possible bug that may need additional research. When I get
> a chance today I'm going to check through some of the related scripts
> to see if anything stands out.

'Split apart, reunited, or adjusting for new conditions on the
  ground, a family is a double-edged sword. They're the best of times,
  the worst of times, your keys to the kingdom and the skeletons in
  your closet. If only we didn't have to eat dinner with them.'
  -- Mary, "In Plain Sight"