[ZendTo] Abandoned files in 'incoming'

Jules Jules at Zend.To
Wed Dec 2 10:57:38 GMT 2020

John,

There should be a cron job that cleans these up for you.
It should be in /etc/cron.d/zendto.
The relevant line in that file is this one:

5 */4 * * * root find -H /var/zendto/incoming -type f -mmin +1440
-delete >/dev/null 2>&1

This will fire every 4 hours, deleting any files in /var/zendto/incoming
that are more than 24 hours old.

ZendTo takes files from the user's browser in chunks nowadays, as that
gets around all the problems caused by "network protection"
devices/software in all their ugly forms. Those are numbered chunks from
an upload that never completed.

They are totally superfluous, and should be deleted automatically by the
cron job above. I would be interested to hear if that line is missing
from your cron.d file or if you have a ".rpmnew" file in there or similar.

I haven't bothered logging the individual chunks as they're by default
only 50 MB. So there can be an awful lot of them appearing on a busy
server, and they amount to nothing useful unless the upload completes
properly, at which point they are creating a new drop-off and so lots of
stuff is logged.

I hope that clears up that question for you.

On Tue 01/12/20 20:45, John Thurston via ZendTo wrote:
> We're running 6.05-4 on CentOS 7
> From time to time, I'm finding abandoned files in 'incoming', of the
> form:
>> bKH5SY6MTmy2fJ4b6N3N5XbyjCbnw8if.1
>> bKH5SY6MTmy2fJ4b6N3N5XbyjCbnw8if.2
>> bKH5SY6MTmy2fJ4b6N3N5XbyjCbnw8if.3
>> bKH5SY6MTmy2fJ4b6N3N5XbyjCbnw8if.4
>
> The dates on the files leave me confident they are derelict, so I
> smoke the oldest and reclaim my disk space.
>
> I've tried to find the footprints of these files in logs, but have
> failed. It looks to me like these are used during upload, before
> ZendTo creates a 16-character directory name in 'dropoffs' and
> relocates the files to it. But it doesn't look like ZendTo logs the
> activity until the upload is complete.
>
>> Info: new unencrypted dropoff T9dFqdfZENNkgnAd of 3 files created
>
> I'd like to do something more than periodically empty my disk of
> abandoned files. I'd like to figure out why they are abandoned, and
> correct the problem. In what log should I be looking to find more
> footprints?

'Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out
  the pain.' - Joseph Campbell