[ZendTo] An update for HTML email templates and body tag

Jules Field Jules at Zend.To
Mon Jan 21 16:13:05 GMT 2019

On 17/01/2019 16:57, Travis Zimmerman via ZendTo wrote:
> We encountered a weird problem that only occurs when forwarding or
> replying to emails from ZendTo using Thunderbird. The background color
> from body defined in local.css would get applied to the message from
> the person forwarding or replying. At my university that means the
> background was set to a dark garnet, which makes black text hard to
> read. So this sent me down a whole rabbit hole of looking at the HTML
> email templates, which brings up two changes that I think would be
> great for ZendTo.
>
> 1) Set the body tag in the website code (header.tpl) and emails
> (email_header_html.tpl) to have id=“zendtobody” or whatever you would
> like to name the id for the body css. It would mean local.css needs a
> minor change from body to #zendtobody. All around I think a pretty
> easy minor change that clears up the weird Thunderbird interaction.
Ah, yes. Just had a look at email_header_html.tpl. The CSS defined at
the top of the file gets totally ignored by quite a lot of things that
render emails. Hence the duplication, as by the time I had got something
that worked (with all the styling defined directly in the tags) I didn't
have the patience to carefully remove the definitions at the top and
check it all still worked correctly. It worked, that was good enough.
Exasperating is not the word I would choose, but it gets you in the
right general direction.

> 2) I’ve attached some edits I made to email_header_html.tpl and
> email_footer_html.tpl. My uni’s gold logo looked a bit off on the grey
> background so I changed it to match the garnet we use on the website,
> which is when I realized that the email style was set manually instead
> of using the local.css that it imports and that the rounded corners
> were images. So I made changes to the templates to use fully use the
> local.css branding and I converted one of the tables into divs and set
> the content div (#container) to have rounded corners without using
> images. Let me know what you think, I think I managed to keep the
> design you created but made it to automatically use the branding we
> define in the local.css. I only had my uni logo and the default ZendTo
> logo to test against, so I didn’t get to do an extensive amount of
> testing.

How to stop time: kiss.
How to travel in time: read.
How to escape time: music.