[ZendTo] alternate AD attribute

Jules Field Jules at Zend.To
Tue Apr 30 09:46:28 BST 2019

Travis,

Do you mean an alternate attribute for the username, or an alternate
attribute from which to read the user's email address?
I'm rather assuming the latter, but may be wrong...

Currently it reads the user's email address from the "mail" attribute in
AD; is it the string "mail" that you want to be able to change for a
particular AD forest?

On 29/04/2019 19:44, Travis Zimmerman via ZendTo wrote:
> Would it be possible to add a variable to the AD auth config to use an
> alternate attribute for the username?
> Something like:‘authLDAPAltAttr’     =>    ‘preferredEmail’,
>
> Our Microsoft sysadmins had to setup a different AD for students on a
> different domain (my.fsu.edu <http://my.fsu.edu>) from the one used by
> faculty and staff (fsu.edu <http://fsu.edu>). For some reason at the
> time they had to store the student e-mail address in a different
> attribute than the standard attribute, in the normal attribute they
> are storing a student ID number.
>
> Up until now I worked around this problem by using the IMAP
> authentication, not as nice as AD but it did the job to allow students
> to authenticate in, receive e-mail from the ZendTo server, and view
> drop-offs for them in their Inbox.
>
> We got a new CIO at my university about a month ago and it has been
> decided to shutdown IMAP and SMTP completely, in favor of MAPI with
> MFA only. I found out that this change was being talked about last
> week, upper management came to a decision last Friday and plan to go
> ahead with this change starting next week.
>
> I appreciate all the work you’ve put into ZendTo over the years.

'What happened in the past that was painful, has a great deal to
  do with what we are today.' - William Glasser