[ZendTo] Zend.to error during drop-off

Jules Field Jules at Zend.To
Tue Oct 30 11:10:55 GMT 2018

Ken,

That's a cracker! "Modifying /etc/hosts for fun and profit!" Or not.

The good bit is that we got to the bottom of it in the end.

Given the time of year, I was starting to wonder if your VMs were
haunted..... :-)

That's given me a good laugh this morning, thank you! ;-)

On 29/10/2018 17:27, Ken Etter wrote:
> Unbelievable!  I have been so stupid! Sorry to have wasted your time
> Jules!  I owe you one!
> I have no idea what went wrong with the upgrade...probably something
> screwy left over.
> But I now see why the new installs kept failing...
> I much prefer using SLES over Ubuntu.  I was still using Ubuntu for
> Zend.To as a hold-over from the days you provided pre-built VMs.
> Thinking I was screwing up my Ubuntu install somehow, I setup SLES and
> got the exact same error.  That made no sense, I couldn't be screwing
> up both...then it struck me! Since my existing production Zend.To site
> is up and running and I don't want to change the site name, I was
> testing the new sites using the ip address instead of the site name.
> I modified my hosts file to point to my new server and used the site
> name to get to it and all works - no error.  Tried it with both the
> Ubuntu and SLES new setups and both work.  I can't believe I have been
> so dense.  <sigh>
>
> Ken
> I started with that because I already had a downloaded copy.
> I just completed another test install and got the same results - error
> - failed to drop-off files.
> I'll send the files off list.  Thanks.
>
> Ken
> > Ken,
>
> I only changed the FQDN to set the domain name. As Ubuntu set itself
> up, I didn't appear to have a domain name set, so "hostname --fqdn"
> was just giving "kenetter" as it had no domain name. So I set the
> domain name as per those instructions in order to get a
> fully-qualified name out of "hostname --fqdn" before starting to
> install ZendTo.
> If the ZendTo Installer cannot deduce a likely DNS domain name, it
> tends to make some wrong decisions when setting up the preferences.php
> and internaldomains.conf files. For a pain-free installation, I tend
> to set that first, so that at least it has *a* domain name, even if
> it's not the same one as the website is going to have. Having the
> output of "hostname --fqdn" contain no dots at all is not a good sign
> of a "well setup" server. :)
> That actual hostname and such like is irrelevant to ZendTo. What's
> important is that the serverRoot in preferences.php matches up with
> what Apache thinks it's serving it as.
> You can put ZendTo on a server that has lots of other sites on it as
> well, that's no problem at all.
> Do you want to send me (off list) your Apache config for ZendTo, in
> addition to the preferences.php, zendto.conf and internaldomains.conf
> files? It's either something odd in there, or else your Ubuntu 16.04.3
> system isn't anything like as "vanilla" as you think it is.
> Out of interest, why start with 16.04.3? That's not the latest 16.04
> media available from Canonical, I had to go and hunt for it to
> reproduce your steps.
> Cheers,
> Jules.
> [...]

'The best and most beautiful things in life cannot be seen or even
  touched; they must be felt with the heart.' - Helen Keller