[ZendTo] Zend.to error during drop-off

Jules Field Jules at Zend.To
Fri Oct 26 12:26:16 BST 2018

Ken,

I have just built a ZendTo VM from scratch using the exact same version
of Ubuntu you did, and the current production release of ZendTo (as
installed by my Installer).
It worked absolutely fine for me.
Attached is the PDF log of what I did, so you can read through it.

I didn't have to change the server name, as I had already set the FQDN
to the same name in the Ubuntu networking setup (as documented in the PDF).
And I didn't touch *anything* after running the Installer, including
zendto.conf, preferences.php and the Apache config.

I would be starting to suspect your preferences.php settings. What
happens if you check the serverRoot is right, and make sure that Apache
config matches. Otherwise just use the preferences.php as the Installer
leaves it.

On a VM with only 1GB, the current production release probably won't be
able to encrypt a drop-off. I've reduced the memory requirements for
that in the latest betas, but in the mean time you will probably need at
least 2GB RAM to be able to use encryption.

On 26/10/2018 09:20, Jules Field wrote:
> Ken,
>
> This is really odd. I did thoroughly test the Installer on every
> supported version of every flavour of Linux that I say it works on.
> I've got dozens of old VMs to prove it. :-/
>
> I'm downloading 16.04.3 (amd64) right now, and will walk through the
> same steps as you listed below.
>
> I'll let you know the results as soon as I've built it.
>
> Cheers,
> Jules.
>
> On 25/10/2018 17:57, Ken Etter wrote:
>> Jules,
>> I just finished setting up a brand new VM and I get the same error
>> message!  This makes no sense!  Any thoughts?
>> * installed Ubuntu 16.04.3 as a basic server
>> * configured networking
>> * installed openssh-server
>> * patched server to 16.04.5
>> * downloaded your installer and ran it
>>         used most defaults except I had to specify the smtp server
>> and the address of the site
>>         the site address defaulted to https://server_name and I
>> changed it to https://transfer.msktd.com
>> * modified preferences.php and zendto.conf for my settings
>> * reboot
>> * login to site and attempt a drop off and I get the same error as my
>> upgraded site
>>
>> What could possibly be wrong in what I did?
>>
>> Ken
>> > Edit your /etc/passwd file to set the shell for your Apache user to /bin/bash.
>>
>> Then "pwconv" so the change takes effect.
>> Then try this
>> su - apache (or whatever user your Apache is running as)
>>
>> clamdscan /var/zendto/*
>>
>> clamdscan --fdpass /var/zendto/*
>>
>> exit
>>
>> What happened? Did the virus scans both complete successfully?
>> If not, and you're running CentOS/RedHat 7, try this and then give
>> the above another try:
>> groupmems --group virusgroup --add apache
>>
>> systemctl restart httpd
>>
>> I added that extra groupmems command to the Installer a day or two
>> ago when I discovered that RedHat/CentOS had changed their group
>> membership rules in an update.
>> Any improvement?
>> Cheers,
>> Jules.
>> P.S. Otherwise, if you can give me remote ssh access I can login
>> myself and take a look for you. I would be interested to see what it
>> is, if it's not any of the above.
>> On 25/10/2018 16:22, Ken Etter wrote:
>>> Yep, PHP 7.2 is installed. I've run through the installer multiple
>>> times now. No change, still get the error.
>>> Ken
>>>
>>> My Installer can be run in stages, and those stages can be run
>>> independently.
>>> So you might want to download the Installer, unpack it and wander
>>> into it. In what will obviously be the right sub-dir for your OS,
>>> you will see the numbered scripts.
>>> # cd install.ZendTo/CentOS-RedHat/
>>>
>>> # ls
>>>
>>> 1-devtools.sh 3-clamav.sh 5-httpd-php.sh 7-zendto.sh CentOS6 RHEL7

> [...]

'Named must your fear be before banish it you can.' - Yoda