[ZendTo] Zend.to ClamAV issue

Jules Field Jules at Zend.To
Fri Nov 2 17:23:30 GMT 2018

Derek,

# Become root, properly
sudo su -
# Change Apache's login shell to /bin/bash
chsh -s /bin/bash www-data
# Become the Apache user
su - www-data
# Try virus-scanning the /var/zendto directory
clamdscan /var/zendto/*
# And the same again but just using file handles
clamdscan --fdpass /var/zendto/*
# Stop being Apache and revert to being root
exit
# Put Apache's login shell back to what it was
chsh -s /sbin/nologin www-data
# Stop being root
exit

Note the 2 clamav commands are clam*d*scan and not just clamscan. That's
critical. clamdscan makes the clamd service/daemon do the actual scanning.

Send us the output of the clamdscan commands.

Then send us the output of "ls -al /var/zendto" and the lines in your
/etc/group file that are anything to do with www-data, apache,
virusgroup, clamd, anything like that.

It's probably just the group membership is wrong. This causes a similar
problem in CentOS/RedHat 7 as well, things changed there with ClamAV
100. 99 was fine, 100 wasn't.