[ZendTo] change the 'from" email address to the user dropping off the file

Mike Brudenell mike.brudenell at york.ac.uk
Fri Mar 2 09:22:22 GMT 2018

Hi, Jake -

You'll run into problems doing this if the person dropping off the file has
an email address outside of your own domains. Effectively you'd be setting
up your mail server to forge emails to be from someone else's domain:
something their SPF and DMARC email authentication records might forbid, in
which case the messages you generate would likely be marked as spam or
rejected if going to someone whose mail service checks and respects SPF and
DMARC.

However if, as you say, only your own internal users are allowed to drop
off files and so are using your own email addresses there's less likely to
be a problem. (If you manage to set it up do make a note to yourself
somewhere not to enable uploads for external people without changing the
>From configuration! :-)

Cheers,
Mike B-)

On 1 March 2018 at 21:34, Sallee, Jake <Jake.Sallee at umhb.edu> wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I would like to be able to configure ZendTo to use the email address of
> the person dropping off the file as the "from" address.  Doing this allows
> me to setup rules in my email server that change the email path based on my
> AD, which I like.
>
> #1) Is this possible?
>
> and
>
>  #2) Is this a bad thing?
>
> In my environment only my AD users are allowed to drop off files that are
> bound for external users so the email ZendTo would be using would always be
> a legitimate email.
>
> I have Googled this but to no avail.  If anyone has any input please feel
> free to contribute.  Thank you in advance.
>
> Jake Sallee
> Godfather of Bandwidth
> System Engineer
> University of Mary Hardin-Baylor
> WWW.UMHB.EDU
>
> 900 College St.
> Belton, Texas
> 76513
>
> Fone: 254-295-4658
> Phax: 254-295-4221

Systems Administrator & Change Manager
IT Services, University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5DD, UK
Tel: +44-(0)1904-323811

Web: www.york.ac.uk/it-services
Disclaimer: www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm