[ZendTo] Small but annoying formatting errors in templates/dropoff_email.tpl

Mike Brudenell mike.brudenell at york.ac.uk
Fri Feb 22 17:23:27 GMT 2013

Greetings -

There are a number of small but annoying problems with the content of
templates/dropoff_email.tpl file that I've been wrestling into submission.

Most stem from stray spaces at the end of lines. Sounds daft I know, but
the message is composed and sent as "format-flowed", which tells the
recipient's email program to look for any lines ending "space<CR><LF>" and
join them with the next then reflow the result.

This means that some on the lines of the dropoff email join onto previous
ones and look weird.

To fix edit the standard config/dropoff_email.tpl as follows:

   - Line 2: (after the line beginning "This is an…"
   Delete all the spaces that are present on this meant-to-be-blank line.

   - Line 9:
   Says "If you wish to contact the sender, just reply to this email." but
   our messages get sent out from a "do-not-reply" address as set
   with EmailSenderAddress in conf/zendto.conf. I think I read recently that
   ZendTo no longer forges the sender's email address for messages it sends
   out, so presumably this statement should no longer be present?

   - Line 27: (the one before the line beginning "-- File…"
   Delete all the spaces that are present on this meant-to-be-blank line.

   - Line 31: (The "Description" of a file)
   When no description text is entered then this leaves the message's line
   ending with "space<CR><LF>", which causes the next line (Size) to be joined
   to the Description line and reflowed. A (not ideal) fix is to change
   ""}"{$f.description}"{else}(None){/if}.

   Note: the final ".", seems to be needed to stop the parser from
   swallowing the newline after the "{/if}" and joining with the next line
   anyway.

I wish I could improve on the final edit to avoid the need for the final
"." but I'm not familiar enough with the idiosyncrasies of whatever parses
the templates. Any offers…? :-)

Cheers,
Mike B-)

--
IT Services, The University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5DD, UK
Tel: +44-1904-323811