[ZendTo] How to handle bounces

Alexander Fisher alex at alexfisher.me.uk
Tue Mar 13 15:07:07 GMT 2012

Hi again!

First off, thanks Jules for your super fast responses to my other
queries.  It's really appreciated.

Is there a recommended way of handling bounces?  Currently, if one of
my users (internal in this case) mistypes a dropoff recipient email
address, my smarthost is unable to deliver the mail and it generates a
bounce to www-data at dropoff.mydomain.com.  I'm about to set an entry in
/etc/aliases on my zendto server so that these bounces come to me.  Is
there a better way?  Ideally, the user making the original error would
receive the bounce or perhaps zendto (or something else running on the
server) could process the bounce and act accordingly.  Perhaps in an
ideal world, zendto would prompt the user for a corrected email
address?  Maybe this would be way too complicated and of limited
value.  Dunno.

Kind Regards,
Alex