[ZendTo] Re: unconditional use of stripslashes, missing backslashes.

Joerg Streibhardt eljoest+lists at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 3 17:37:45 GMT 2012

Hi Julian,

from a security perspective the use of stripslashes is a bad idea.

The magic quotes feature adds these backslashes to escape the "dangerous"
characters (i.e. ') for database use.

Basically it's a weak version of what sqlite_escape_string et al are doing
and stripslashes reverts this.

If the intention is to remove all backslashes, stripslashes is definately
not the right function. All that's required to defeat it is using two
backslashes for one to remain.

As for the expected need: In our case it'll probably be about every second
drop-off as users will be asked to upload a file in some more or less
arbitrary directory for analysis.

To recap: stripslashes does nothing to improve security, all it does is
decrease security if *_escape_string is forgotten, magic_quotes is either
on or off.
Additionally it'll  garble user input if magic_quotes off (which is the
default for new installs).

Cheers
Jörg