[ZendTo] Re: Cron errors

Mike Brudenell mike.brudenell at york.ac.uk
Thu Dec 13 17:47:24 GMT 2012

Hi, Seth -

On 13 December 2012 17:37, Seth Turner <sturner at fraunhofer-cmb.org> wrote:

> Are you saying to change it to:****
>
> ** **
>
> # /etc/cron.d/zendto: crontab fragment for zendto****
>
> 5 0 * * * root /usr/bin/php /opt/zendto/sbin/cleanup.php
> /opt/zendto/config/preferences.php****
>
> 2 10 * * * root /usr/bin/php /opt/zendto/sbin/rrdInit.php /dev/null****
>
> 2 12 * * * root /usr/bin/php /opt/zendto/sbin/rrdUpdate.php /dev/null****

Not quite, I suspect. The syntax of a line in the crontab is this:

   - The first five fields specify the minute, hour, and date the commend
   is to run (check the man page if you're interested which is which: I always
   forget and have to!)
   - The next field is the username to run the command as
   - And the rest is the command to be run, just as from a command prompt

That means to redirect the output from a command you put "> /dev/null" at
the end of it. For example,

   -
   - 2 10 * * * root /usr/bin/php /opt/zendto/sbin/rrdInit.php > /dev/null
   - 2 12 * * * root /usr/bin/php /opt/zendto/sbin/rrdUpdate.php > /dev/null

Note that I don't know whether those are the right two command to redirect
the output for, but they look likely. You could either do both, do one and
see if it fixes the problem, or run the command manually (as root) and see
which produces the output.

Cheers,
Mike B-)
--
IT Services, The University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5DD, UK
Tel: +44-1904-323811