[ZendTo] Re: File dropoff

Mike Brudenell mike.brudenell at york.ac.uk
Fri Aug 24 10:19:36 BST 2012

Hi, Todd -

Some questions to ask yourself:

   - How large is the file you are dropping off?
   - Which operating system and version are you using? (If it's Windows is
   it the 32-bit or 64-bit version?)
   - Which web browser and version are you using? (If it's on Windows are
   you using a 32-bit or 64-bit version of the web browser?)
   - If the file is over 2 Gbytes, has the ZendTo server been set up with a
   version of PHP that will handle such large files? (Instructions on the
   zend.to web site.)

There are all important for files larger than 2Gbytes, and in some cases
4Gbytes. I had to investigate the same symptoms following an end-user
enquiry here and tried various combinations of operating system and web
browser. I enclose here an extract of the message I sent to the list on
19-Jun-2012 showing our test results at the time;web browser versions may
have moved on since:

We are running ZendTo 4.08 and I have been using various browsers to try
and upload a 4.74 Gbyte test file to our DropOff Service, from my Apple Mac
running OS X 10.7.4 with an on-site wired LAN connection running at 100
Mbits/sec:

   - *Safari* *(version 5.1.7)* — the upload works and the drop-off
      successfully created :-) and…
      - *Opera* (version 12.00) — the upload works and the drop-off
      successfully created :-) BUT…
      - *Chrome* *(version 19.0.1084.56)* — uploads to 99%, locks up Chrome
      for a while, then usually Chrome unlocks (the alternative is it
freezes and
      needs a Force Quit) but fails saying the connection was reset
      - *Firefox* *(version 12.0)* — starts upload but fails soon
      afterwards, asking whether you want to navigate away from the page;
      answering Yes reports the connection was reset, answering No
just seems to
      stop the upload and deletes the partial drop-off
      - *Camino* *(version 2.1.2)* — starts upload, goes further than
      Firefox but then it, too, asks whether you want to navigate away from the
      page; answering Yes reports the connection was reset, answering No just
      seems to stop the upload and deletes the partial drop-off

Safari and Firefox both have their *Open in 32-bit mode* checkboxes *
unticked* in their *Get Info* boxes; neither Chrome nor Camino offer this
checkbox.

I've tried with a smaller test file of around 2.8 Gbytes from my Mac and
that went up from Chrome OK. (So perhaps there might be a 4 Gbyte (rather
than 2 Gbyte) barrier affecting Chrome on OS X?)

One of my colleagues has been experimenting with a 7 Gbyte file and
browsers on Windows 7 and Linux with these results:

   - *Chrome* *(on Windows 7 64-bit)* — did full upload then failed with an
      error (which unfortunately we can't remember!)
      - *IE 8 **(on Windows 7 64-bit)* — starts upload but fails soon
      afterwards, asking whether you want to navigate away from the page;
      answering Yes reports the connection was reset, answering No
just seems to
      stop the upload and deletes the partial drop-off
      - *IE 9 64-bit* *(on Windows 7 64-bit)* — starts upload but fails
      soon afterwards, asking whether you want to navigate away from the page;
      answering Yes reports the connection was reset, answering No
just seems to
      stop the upload and deletes the partial drop-off
      - *Firefox* *(on Windows 7 64-bit)* — starts upload but fails soon
      afterwards, asking whether you want to navigate away from the page;
      answering Yes reports the connection was reset, answering No
just seems to
      stop the upload and deletes the partial drop-off
      - *Opera* *(on Windows 7 64-bit)* — uploaded an empty file (but
      probably because Opera is still 32-bit?)
      - *Chrome* *(on Linux 64-bit)* — the upload works and the drop-off
      successfully created :-)
      - *Firefox* *(on Linux 64-bit)* — starts upload but fails soon
      afterwards, asking whether you want to navigate away from the page;
      answering Yes reports the connection was reset, answering No
just seems to
      stop the upload and deletes the partial drop-off

These tests were done on Windows 7 and Linux running in VMs. Again, small
files of less than 2 Gbytes seem to go through fine.

As Jules points out, not many people upload such large quantities of data
using a web browser so it's quite possible for browsers to have bugs in
this area that go undetected and, when reported, the browser developers
treat as low priority.

Cheers,
Mike B-)

On 23 August 2012 19:34, Todd Albers <talbers at vistaprod.com> wrote:

>  Ok time for my second round of dumb questions.  I have ZendTo installed,
> I can add new users and login but if I try to drop off a file the browser
> just asks me if I want to ‘leave the page’.  If I say yes then I have a
> problem as the page is blank.  If I close the browser, reopen and try it
> again I get one shot where the progress bar comes up but never fills up
> just goes away.  I then do not get an email that a file is there and my
> inbox and outbox are empty.****
>
> ** **
>
> Also if I try to just drop off a file without logging on under the confirm
> you are real person I get the following error:****
>
> Input error: k: Format of site key was invalid.****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> Any ideas on these?****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks,****
>
> ** **
>
> Todd****

IT Services, The University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5DD, UK
Tel: +44-1904-323811
Disclaimer: <http://www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm>