[ZendTo] Re: CSV uploads

Jules Jules at Zend.To
Thu May 19 08:56:12 BST 2011

On 18/05/2011 23:17, Brad Beckenhauer wrote:
> In version 4.01 the csv uploads has been replaced by a multiple
> recipients function, which I'm ok with but my Support folks asked
> about limitations and formatting options.
> I've looked through the change log and help for information describing
> what formatting can be used to paste recipients into the dialog box
> and could not find anything.
No, I haven't written any, sorry. You should find that most sensible
formats including quotes and <> work okay. It's reasonably intelligent.

It's written on the same basis I have always used in MailScanner. It's
my job to make the code intelligent and flexible enough that 99% of the
time it can work out what you meant if you do something vaguely
sensible. Then I don't need to list every available permutation of
formatting that is allowed, it will "just work".

Furthermore, when you paste in a bunch of addresses and click the "Add"
button, it only removes from the list those that it could understand. So
if any addresses are left behind, they just need fixing and then you
press the "add" button again to have another go at those. If they all
disappeared when you pressed the "add" button, then you got all the
formatting right and it could understand them.
> I've done abit of testing in the multiple recipients dialog box
> and the following formats work:
> johndoe at aaa.com <mailto:johndoe at aaa.com>
> 1John Doe-work johndoe at aaa.com <mailto:johndoe at aaa.com>
> "2John Doe without a comma after the double quote" johndoe at aaa.com
> <mailto:johndoe at aaa.com>
> "3John Doe with a comma after the double quote", johndoe at aaa.com
> <mailto:johndoe at aaa.com>
> '4John Doe without a comma after the single quote' johndoe at aaa.com
> <mailto:johndoe at aaa.com>
> '5John Doe with a comma after the single quote', johndoe at aaa.com
> <mailto:johndoe at aaa.com>
Also you are allowed <> around the email address, as this format occurs
frequently too.
> The logic seems to be testing for the presence of the @ sign for
> parsing based on my testing.
Yes. It basically does something like this:
Look for a word with an @ in it. Remove that word, remove any <> around
it and use that as the email address.
Take everything left, remove leading and trailing whitespace, quotes and
commas, and use that as the name.
> Since most folks I know here are going to paste csv files into the
> dialog box are there any limitations I should share with them?
It's not really designed for CSV files any more (hence no reference to
CSV in the user interface), but almost any common format will work okay.
> How many rows can we paste into the Multi-recipient box?
There isn't a hard limit, but your browser may impose one. It's all
implemented in Javascript in the browser, the web server isn't involved
in adding recipients to the list at all.
> And I love the verify box,  I just wish it was wider by default  (I'll
> have to find the bit that governs the size).
Which box do you mean?