[ZendTo] Re: Installing on Ubuntu Server

Jules Jules at Zend.To
Wed Feb 9 15:18:36 GMT 2011

In fact it's easier to run in Ubuntu than it is in CentOS.

RedHat (and hence CentOS) never did manage to get SQLite working with
PHP, so you have to use an entire great MySQL installation to provide
the database support. In Ubuntu you can just use SQLite which is
enormously easier, lighter and faster for my purposes.

And also RedHat/CentOS 5 cannot do the PHP stuff required to make the
progress bar work, unless you upgrade to PHP5.2 from a 3rd party, which
is yet more messing around. Ubuntu is much more up to date, so none of
that is needed.

But I live in a RedHat shop too, which is why I built the CentOS version
in the first place. It will never get adopted by our campus IT guys
unless it runs on RedHat. They "don't do" Ubuntu, whereas in Electronics
and Computer Science (where I work), we use the best tool for the job,
regardless of whether everyone knows how to admin it or not. The ones
that don't learn! :-)

Jules.