[ZendTo] Re: Upgrade to v4.00 and PHP

Julian Field Jules at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Apr 20 17:44:49 BST 2011

You need PHP 5.2 for the upload progress bar to work at all. To get uploads over 2GB working, you need to patch and recompile PHP (specifically libphp5.so) from source. There are full instructions on the ZendTo website that you can pretty much cut and paste. Every time you do an update that replaces the PHP binaries, you will need to patch PHP again. Fortunately that doesn't happen very often. :-)

There is no other solution to this until the authors of PHP fix the problem (caused by using 32-bit signed integers in places where they should at least be using unsigned integers, and preferably 64-bit ones!).

Do also remember that, particularly on Windows-based web browsers, a few of the common browsers have similar bugs in them stopping uploads over 2GB, unfortunately. But Macs are a lot better in this regard, Safari on a Mac is fine! :-)

I can work around bugs in PHP because we can get the source. I can't work around all the bugs in IE :-(