[ZendTo] Pickup.php loading very slowly

Ricky Boone ricky.boone at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 20:05:22 GMT 2024

Can't say that I've ever seen that behavior before using sqlite or mariadb
in my environment.  Unless the database is absolutely massive or the
storage is abysmally slow, I highly doubt it is the database.  It is
unlikely to be PHP either, though without additional context it may be a
configuration issue with either ZendTo, PHP, or the OS that could
contribute to the slowness.

It's been a while since I've dug into situation specific application and
database performance monitoring, however there are commercial and open
source solutions that may be applicable (Dynatrace, New Relic,
OpenTelemetry, etc.), however I can't speak to how easy those are to get
set up or how useful the information is once it is... I'd say first say
let's troubleshoot the environment ZendTo is running within.

What's the OS?  Are you running on low powered hardware, such as a
Raspberry Pi or other SBC where the hardware itself could be contributing
to the issue?  Have you checked the logs for PHP or the web server for any
errors?  How do you have CAPTCHA configured (pickup.php has several calls
related to it)?  Is the slowness consistent with any user from any
location, or are there situations where it is not slow?  Have you verified
that other system settings are properly configured, such as DNS resolvers,
interface details like MTU (1500 is usually the default, but some ISPs and
cloud hosts require something lower), etc?  How big is the sqlite
database?  Is the storage that you're running the ZendTo application and
database on local to the server, or remote using NFS, iSCSI, something more
exotic or using FUSE, etc?  Do you have SELinux and/or auditd enabled, or
applied any "security profiles" such as CIS, etc?