[ZendTo] Formatting of System Logs page is off

Jules Jules at Zend.To
Wed Feb 24 09:47:44 GMT 2021

Marlon,

I did it this way on purpose. It is far easier and faster to read logs
when the date and time (and other details like that) are the only thing
at the left-hand side. One of the first things I do in a Terminal window
when searching logs by eye is to make the window wide enough to minimise
line-wrapping, as that really slows me down. The "System Log" page is
definitely designed for "function" and not for "form".

You can scroll horizontally with your mouse in most OS-es by holding
down the Shift key while scrolling the mouse wheel.

To make horizontal scrolling even easier and quicker, get a mouse with a
horizontal scroll control. I use the Logitech MX Master series, but I'm
sure there are others around that are much cheaper.

If your logs are of any size, the "System Log" view from within ZendTo
will be too restrictive anyway as it only shows 1000 lines. At which
point you want to read the original log file anyway, which is stored at
    /var/log/zendto/zendto.log
at which point you can use whatever tools you like to view and search it.

P.S. In a former life, I was an email Postmaster. Mail logs tend to run
to multiple millions of lines per day. So when searching a vague time
period for something when you're not sure exactly what you're looking
for, you learn ways of scanning logs by eye *very* quickly. Log lines
word-wrapping in a window is a sure way to slow yourself down.

On Tue 23/02/21 17:28, Marlon Deerr via ZendTo wrote:

> Hello,

> I am logged into my ZendTo setup as an administrator. When I click on
> the (red) “System Log”, button to view logs, I am able to see the
> logs but the formatting of that page is off.  It’s almost as if
> there are no carriage returns at the end of lines and it just runs on
> to the far right. I have to scroll over to see everything.Â

> Is there no way to keep the formatting within the visible browser
> windows, or better yet, between the white background area on that page?

> Thanks,
>
> Marlon

'If you think it's expensive to hire a professional,
  Wait until you hire an amateur' - Red Adair