[ZendTo] Single-use download links

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Wed Feb 17 19:37:56 GMT 2021

On 2/17/2021 3:27 AM, Jules via ZendTo wrote:

> *CAUTION:* This email originated from outside the State of Alaska mail
> system. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the
> sender and know the content is safe.
>
> Folks,
>
> One site has asked me to add functionality to allow them to create
> drop-offs in which each file can only be downloaded once.
>
> Effectively "one-shot" download links.

Meh. I can't see the use, but I can see it generating support calls. If
you add it, *please* make the feature invisible unless explicitly
enabled at the application-layer.

re: value
A 'download' count has to be incremented when the download process
starts. The application-layer doesn't really know if the download
succeeded. So a one-shot token will be burned, even if the payload
wasn't delivered.

Once a customer has a payload, it can be shared with anyone the
recipient cares to. What's the point of limiting the number of times it
can be pulled from the server?

If the uploader wants to limit the number of downloads, the "file has
been downloaded" mail message can be used to prompt manual deletion.

re: support
Every failed download of a one-shot is gonna tirgger a complaint when
the URL doesn't work on the retry. Before someone recommends this
feature, they should study their Apache log and see how often a single
person restarts each download. I've looked in mine, and I won't be
enabling this feature.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration