[ZendTo] upgrade script and LDAP authentication values

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Tue Jul 21 00:00:02 BST 2020

Is there some way for me to designate some values in preferences.php as
"Just ignore me, please. Don't try to correct this." ?

With each update, the upgrade script detects my commented out values and
does me the service of re-enabling them and supplying default values. I
then have to go diff the files, confirm nothing has actually changed,
and re-comment the attributes I don't want.

 >   //'authLDAPStartTLS'      => false,
 >   //'authLDAPBindDn'        => 'o=MyOrganization,uid=MyUser',
 >   //'authLDAPBindPass'      => 'SecretPassword',
 >   //'authLDAPOrganization'  => 'My Organization',
 >   //'authLDAPUsernameAttr'  => 'uid',
 >   //'authLDAPEmailAttr'     => 'mail',

I tried setting each of these to null strings, hoping that might trigger
the code to ignore the values and also let the upgrade script leave them
unchanged. Bzzzt. I couldn't authenticate.

I understand the difficulty in trying to detect what a customer is
trying to do, and how to distinguish "new values" from "intentionally
absent values". It is frustrating, though, to have to repeat the same
manual steps, potentially missing something, with every update.

Maybe there could be a magic string to denote a line not just as a
comment but as a "leave me as a comment" line.
Maybe triple-slash
Maybe //!/

Or is there already some way to do this that I haven't figured out?

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration
State of Alaska