[ZendTo] ANNOUNCE: 5.17-1 production release

Jules Field Jules at Zend.To
Thu Jan 31 16:23:18 GMT 2019

patpro,

Download and try out the latest Beta Installer from
     https://zend.to/files/install-beta.ZendTo.tgz
You should find that produces a working FreeBSD system on FreeBSD 11.2
and 12.

I've also made a load of improvements to the "upgrade" utility so that
it works with tarball-based ZendTo installations.
It hopes that you are using a structure like
     /opt/ZendTo-<version-number>
directory for each version you have, and /opt/zendto is a symlink to the
current production one.
That's what the Installer will set up for you.
If you do that, then
     /opt/zendto/bin/upgrade
should automatically find your last version and your newest version and
do all the relevant magic.

I strongly advise
     /opt/zendto/bin/upgrade --dry-run
the first time though, so it just tells you what it would do!

I didn't have locale or language problems at all, it all just worked.

On 24/01/2019 19:42, patpro wrote:
> Jules,
>
>> I've setup a FreeBSD 11.2 box and am working on getting the ZendTo Installer to do it all for you.
>> It will use the .tgz of ZendTo, hopefully that will be okay.
> That's very nice! Thanks.
>

>> I'll have to make the "upgrade" script a bit more clever so that it notices when it's on FreeBSD as the old versions of the preferences.php and zendto.conf will be in different places. But it should still be able to do the bulk of the job for you.
> If you want to package a software that can be un-archived on top of an older version of itself, you might want to name config files with a suffix, say "preferences.php.sample" or "zendto.conf.dist". Then when you unpack the new version on top of the old one, existing config files are not erased. Users (or upgrade script) can then synch old config with new parameters from .sample/.dist files.
>
> cheers,
> patpro

'Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out
  the pain.' - Joseph Campbell