[ZendTo] An update for HTML email templates and body tag

Travis Zimmerman TZimmerman at fsu.edu
Thu Jan 17 16:57:27 GMT 2019

We encountered a weird problem that only occurs when forwarding or replying to emails from ZendTo using Thunderbird. The background color from body defined in local.css would get applied to the message from the person forwarding or replying. At my university that means the background was set to a dark garnet, which makes black text hard to read. So this sent me down a whole rabbit hole of looking at the HTML email templates, which brings up two changes that I think would be great for ZendTo.

1) Set the body tag in the website code (header.tpl) and emails (email_header_html.tpl) to have id=“zendtobody” or whatever you would like to name the id for the body css. It would mean local.css needs a minor change from body to #zendtobody. All around I think a pretty easy minor change that clears up the weird Thunderbird interaction.

2) I’ve attached some edits I made to email_header_html.tpl and email_footer_html.tpl. My uni’s gold logo looked a bit off on the grey background so I changed it to match the garnet we use on the website, which is when I realized that the email style was set manually instead of using the local.css that it imports and that the rounded corners were images. So I made changes to the templates to use fully use the local.css branding and I converted one of the tables into divs and set the content div (#container) to have rounded corners without using images. Let me know what you think, I think I managed to keep the design you created but made it to automatically use the branding we define in the local.css. I only had my uni logo and the default ZendTo logo to test against, so I didn’t get to do an extensive amount of testing.

Travis Zimmerman tzimmerman at fsu.edu<mailto:tzimmerman at fsu.edu> 850-645-8030
Linux Enterprise Applications & Systems its-linuxadmins at fsu.edu<mailto:its-linuxadmins at fsu.edu>
Information Technology Services, Florida State University