[ZendTo] support for x-forwarded-for headers

Jules Jules at Zend.To
Sun Feb 24 13:55:23 GMT 2019

Ray,

ZendTo already supports the X-Forwarded-For header.

Our setup at the University of Southampton is also behind an F5, and it
all works fine.
I haven't installed any extra Apache modules to make it work.

The only problem we had was when our enterprise IT folks hadn't enabled
the X-Forwarded-For header on the F5 config that was for the ZendTo
service (dropoff.soton.ac.uk).

Are you using the latest version of ZendTo?

On 21/02/2019 10:31 am, Armando Martins via ZendTo wrote:
> You're welcome ;)
> You just need to configure the rpaf module and stop using
> x-forwarded-for for you apache logs. Rpaf do all the job.
>
> Explanation from the author:
>
> “Rpaf changes the remote address of the client visible to other Apache
> modules when two conditions are satisfied. First condition is that the
> remote client is actually a proxy that is defined in module
> configuration. Secondly if there is an incoming X-Forwarded-For header
> and the proxy is in it's list of known proxies it takes the last IP
> from the incoming X-Forwarded-For header and changes the remote
> address of the client in the request structure.”
>
> Le jeu. 21 févr. 2019 à 11:26, Gardener, Ray A <R.A.Gardener at shu.ac.uk
> <mailto:R.A.Gardener at shu.ac.uk>> a écrit :
>
>     Hi Armando,
>
>     Thanks for  this. Would I just need to configure the rpaf module
>     on Apache?  Is there anything else  that needs doing in the zendto
>     configuration?
>
>     Ray Gardener
>
>     Infrastructure Analyst
>
>     Digital technology Services
>
>     Sheffield Hallam University
>
>     0114 225 4926

The current UK shipping forecast:
Fisher: Variable 3 or 4, becoming west 4 or 5 later. Slight or moderate. Fog
banks. Moderate or good, occasionally very poor.