[ZendTo] [Feature Request custom string in subject per DropOff]

Jules Field Jules at Zend.To
Tue Apr 30 09:42:01 BST 2019

Peter,

I'm tempted to go with a prefix rather than a suffix.
My guess would be that users are more used to ignoring leading prefixes
on Subject lines, as that is where most ticketing systems put them.
But I might be wrong!

I'm just not sure it warrants yet another bit of extra complexity and
extra configuration to make its position selectable.

Would a prefix do? Just after the [ZendTo] prefix?

On 30/04/2019 06:32, Der PCFreak via ZendTo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> for me it would be enough to have a small (eg. max 20 characters)
> suffix (not prefix) added to the default subject line. In my company
> people like to add the project number to the end of the subject line
> (or at least somewhere) to be able to sort their emails by this number
> (often after years) to reproduce project work-flows and data exchange.
>
> Maybe a suffix would be enough even for others that need it for ticketing?
>
> Regards
>
> Peter
>
> On 29.04.2019 16:19, Jules Field wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> I'm having a think about this one.
>>
>> The idea of the prefix is pretty simple, basically I would give you
>> the "[ZendTo]" string (as an initial default value) in a "Subject"
>> box in the new drop-off form.
>>
>> Whatever you end up putting in there gets used instead of [ZendTo] at
>> the start of the email subject lines.
>>
>> However......
>>
>> If you request a drop-off, you get to supply the whole Subject line
>> for the email to the person you want to send you their files.
>> Ideally, that same Subject line would be used in all notifications
>> etc about that drop-off.
>> But they have entered the *whole* Subject line, not just the prefix
>> to it.
>> If I use their whole Subject line as a prefix, it's going to look weird.
>>
>> So what do I do for the Subject prefix, when it was created as a
>> result of a request which had the entire Subject line supplied?
>> I clearly can't ask the person sending the request to supply 2
>> Subject entries — both the current whole Subject line *and* the
>> prefix to use — as that would confuse the hell out of them.
>>
>> Any ideas please?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jules.
>>
>> On 21/04/2019 14:29, Mailing Lists via ZendTo wrote:
>>> Hi Jules,
>>>
>>> yes it would be enough to allow 20 editable characters.
>>>
>>> via Smartphone

>> Jules
>>
>> --
>> Julian Field MEng CEng CITP MBCS MIEEE MACM
>>
>> 'Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out
>>   the pain.' - Joseph Campbell
>>
>> www.Zend.To
>> Twitter: @JulesFM

'Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day.
  Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.'
    - Anon