[ZendTo] Question on moving from 4.x to 5.x

Duncan, Brian M. brian.duncan at kattenlaw.com
Wed Jan 31 21:15:12 GMT 2018

Hello, just want to first say, the install script makes installing Zendto on a new CentOS 7.x build much easier then I recall when I first setup Zendto years ago!

We are running Zendto 4.11 and need to upgrade to the current version.  So my plan is to hot-cut over to a new Zendto server after it is built and I can get them to create new documentation because I am guessing there will be new features and the look might be a little different than what they are used to right now with the 4.11 server.

So I have my new server up and running with Zendto 5.x installed on it.  I can access the page and attempt to login but get an Authentication Error - The username or password was incorrect on 1 out of 2 AD accounts that I am trying to login with.

Has anything changed between 4.11 to 5.x that would cause me an issue?

I had modified the default preferences.php for the 5.x server and included my AD authenticator piece identically from my currently working 4.11 server.

I have remarked out the FIRST occurrence of 'authenticator': (which I also have remarked out on our working 4.11 zendto box)

  // See the commands in /opt/zendto/bin and the ChangeLog to use this.
//  'authenticator' => 'local',

I have specified in preferences.php

  'authMultiAuthenticators' => array('AD', 'Local'),

I don't know if that matters, I have no local users setup currently.  That is not a directive in 4.11.

And I confirmed from this server I can connect to TCP port 389 on both 10.10.10.22 and 10.10.10.23 which are both the same DC's I use with our 4.11 server.

At this point I have 2 different AD user names that both login without issue on the 4.11 server.  Only one of those logs in on the 5.x server without issue.

The one I am not able to login with has a complex passcode, are there any limits to what passcode characters are parsed?  The passcode is working fine for this AD account on the 4.11 server.  The password has a "!" in it.

I had asked an associate to test it for me, and he also was able to login, but does NOT have an ! in his password, so I am wondering if that is the issue.

Thanks for any assistance.

BRIAN M. DUNCAN
Senior Information Security Engineer
Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
525 W. Monroe Street / Chicago, IL 60661-3693
p / (312) 577-8045 f / (312) 577-4490
brian.duncan at kattenlaw.com / www.kattenlaw.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This electronic mail message and any attached files contain information intended for the exclusive
use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is
proprietary, privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you
are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any viewing, copying, disclosure or
distribution of this information may be subject to legal restriction or sanction.  Please notify
the sender, by electronic mail or telephone, of any unintended recipients and delete the original
message without making any copies.
NOTIFICATION:  Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP is an Illinois limited liability partnership that has
elected to be governed by the Illinois Uniform Partnership Act (1997).