[ZendTo] HTML Email - What's coming!

Jules Jules at Zend.To
Sat Mar 11 20:55:33 GMT 2017

To give you an update, here's the current ChangeLog for what is becoming
the next version of ZendTo.
If I can get a few more things in, such as a working progress bar
without needing the APC/APCu module, then I will.

- This version includes several new settings in preferences.php.
   I strongly recommend the use of
   /opt/zendto/sbin/upgrade_preferences_php
   to automatically upgrade your existing file.
   Run it without any arguments and it shows you how to use it.
- Added PHPMailer to enable HTML email, TLS encryption and SMTP auth.
   NOTE: its use is entirely optional, and disabled by default
   (so the old email code will be used instead).
   Even if you enable PHPMailer, it will not send HTML emails unless
   the relevant *email_html.tpl template files exist.
   Read the docs in preferences.php just above the 'SMTPserver' setting
   for more information and tips.
- Fixed bug in cron job that sent out reminders containing broken links.
   NOTE: There is a new setting in preferences.php called 'serverRoot'.
   This is the root URL of your ZendTo website, and must end with a '/'.
- Reminder emails for about-to-expire drop-offs are now noticeably
   different. (There is a slight template change to dropoff_email.tpl)
- Broken links on "security" page fixed.
- Bug fixed where logout didn't, on combination of Ubuntu 16 and Chrome.
- Installer now copes with EPEL repo pre-installed but disabled.

The HTML email templates are completely optional (if they don't exist it
will just send only the plain text ones).
And using PHPMailer at all is totally optional too. By default it will
continue to use the old method, which uses the PHP mail() function and
relies on the server's sendmail/Postfix setup to send its email.
I need to update the installer so that it enables and configures the
PHPMailer settings, instead of installing and configuring all of
sendmail or Postfix.

On 09/03/2017 17:18, Jules wrote:

> On 09/03/2017 17:00, John Thurston wrote:
>> On 3/9/2017 1:59 AM, Jules wrote:
>>> If anyone out there fancies a quick dig for how to create multipart
>>> MIME messages in PHP, please do let me know what you find.
>> If you do include an option for HTML-formatted or multipart MIME
>> messages, please retain the option for basic, plain-text messages.
> Yes definitely, don't worry.

Julian Field MEng MBCS CITP CEng