[ZendTo] ZendTo ANNOUNCE: Version 4.27-1 released (production)

Thu Apr 27 13:04:39 BST 2017

Hi Jules,

On 19.04.2017 19:07, Jules wrote:

>> A question:
>> On fully updated latest CentOS 7 the installer recompiles PHP 5.x for
>> ZendTo. Wasn’t big file support already in there in never versions?
>>
> No. Not properly implemented until PHP 7.
>>
>> And if not would the installer detect if I would enable the IUS
>> repository <https://ius.io/GettingStarted/> which provides |php71u| and
>> would this make the recompiling of PHP unnecessary?
>> I am asking this because I am thinking about upgrading the system in
>> the future without the need of recompiling PHP all the time.
>> Maybe I get something wrong here, but please correct me, if so.
>>
> A lot of corporates and big organisations wouldn't encourage the use
> of 3rd party repos any more than *absolutely* necessary.
> If you pay for RedHat support they certainly aren't going to be keen
> on you replacing PHP with a totally different version (which is not
> 100% backward compatible with PHP 5), as you are likely to break
> things as a result.
>
> So while replacing PHP 5 with PHP 7 might work well enough for you,
> it's certainly not an upgrade I would attempt on a production service
> without an *awful* lot of testing first. And by doing it, I know that
> I would almost certainly invalidate/damage any support contract I had
> with anyone.
>
> If you really want to use the IUS version, you could add the repo
> before starting the installer, then run just stage 1, then install
> your favourite PHP including the required modules, then run the
> install.sh again and tell it not to do the "rebuild PHP" stage. You
> can run the separate stages of the installation on their own if you
> want to. Take a peek in install.ZendTo/CentOS-RedHat/ and you'll see
> what I mean. Provided your current directory is either in
> "install.ZendTo" or in "install.ZendTo/CentOS-Redhat" (or
> "install.ZendTo/Ubuntu") then you can directly run individual stages
> just fine.

I tested with PHP7 from IUS. Just for information, you need to do it
like you described but it took me a while to find all necessary PHP
packages so the following way seems to work:

- enable IUS repo
- run installer stage 1
- yum php71u php71u-cli php71u-common php71u-gd php71u-mbstring
php71u-pdo php71u-imap php71u-ldap php71u-json
- run installer again and skip "rebuild PHP"
- configure your installation

It seems to work so far but we can not upload with IE 11 (progress bar
is empty and nothing happens).

Even the above is working I tend to use the "official" way and I have a
question about it.

What happens, if the PHP version your script compiles and packages is
updated or superseeded from the official repos or did you set
dependencies or rules that it should not be updated.
I ask because I want a system where I just can apply regular CentOS
updates to make sure I am as secure as possible all the time.
What is the official way of this?

Thanks in advance

Peter