[ZendTo] ANNOUNCE: ZendTo beta released

Jules Jules at Zend.To
Sun Dec 18 19:24:17 GMT 2016

Folks,

I have been spending the past few weeks/months getting ZendTo sorted out.
I have *hopefully* fixed the security vulnerabilities that anyone has
told me about. So you out there with pen-testing tendencies, please do
have a go at the new version and let me know what you find!

The most major thing is I have written a new installer for ZendTo,
instead of trying to maintain VM images.
I find most people these days need to put it into an otherwise bare
server image prepared by someone in their IT department. Trying to start
from a VM image, and then trying to shoehorn in all your corporate setup
round it was a pain.
As was installing it by hand with just the rpm/deb file.

So now there is a shiny new installer. It assumes a bare server system
to start with, logged in as root.
I have tested it on
     CentOS 5
     CentOS 6
     CentOS 7
     RedHat Enterprise Linux 5
     RedHat Enterprise Linux 6
     RedHat Enterprise Linux 7
     Ubuntu Server 14
     Ubuntu Server 16

It installs all the necessary software, entirely automatically rebuilds
PHP to support big uploads (where necessary), sets up ClamAV, mail
delivery, SELinux, AppArmor, Apache, usage stats, pretty much everything.

It talks to you throughout the process, and will ask you the odd
question. If you want to pause, just Ctrl-S it. If you want to re-run
bits of it, you can run any of the 8 components individually, no problem
at all. Take a look round the structure, it's very straightforwards (but
non-trivial to write!). When you want to update PHP, for example, just
re-run the component that rebuilds PHP. It will work out the latest
versions for itself.

SQLite3 is now the default database to use, as it's by far the easiest
and simplest and works on everything except CentOS/RedHat 5.

To get started: download, unpack and run the installer with
     curl -O http://zend.to/files/install.ZendTo.tgz
     tar xzf install.ZendTo.tgz
     cd install.ZendTo
     ./install.sh

It will fetch the deb/rpm file as appropriate. But if you just want the
deb/rpm and nothing else, they are in
     http://zend.to/files/zendto-4.19-1.noarch.rpm
     http://zend.to/files/zendto_4.19-1.deb
     http://zend.to/files/ZendTo-4.19-1.tgz
The file at
     http://zend.to/files/ZendTo-Version
will tell you the latest version number (during the beta test).

P.S. If you've walked through the installer the slow way, and want to
run it quickly with no questions at all, add '--defaults' to the command
line of either ./install.sh or any of its components.

Please do tell me how you get on! Any questions/queries/problems, get in
touch on this list.

Cheers, and Happy Christmas!

Julian Field MEng MBCS CITP CEng

'One of the deep secrets of life is that all that is really worth
  doing is what we do for others.' - Lewis Carroll