[ZendTo] Re: Security Audit Findings

Ryan Stepalavich Ryan_Stepalavich at banksi.com
Thu Jun 26 20:17:01 BST 2014

Jules,

Thanks so much for getting back to me on this. We have all the info we need now.

Thanks again!

On 24/06/2014 19:43, Ryan Stepalavich wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> We just got hit with two audit findings for ZendTo, and I was
> wondering if there was any fix/workaround for these.

Interesting.

> #1: ZendTo allows any file of any extension to be dropped off. Is
> there a way to whitelist a few extensions and reject all others?

I learnt right back near the start of developing MailScanner that basing security on filename extensions is a complete red herring and a total waste of time. If you do any check at all, it *has* to be based on file *content*, not file *name*. I intentionally did not build this sort of a system into ZendTo as I wanted it to be a solution for all those sites using MailScanner (or any other mail security gateway product) where you have a need to get files in and out that your mail system will not allow. If you restrict filename extension, everyone (including the bad
guys) just changes the extension or adds a "safe" one with a simple note to the user to rename the file once they've got it. It provides no security whatsoever, it is a "tick box" and nothing more.

> #2: ZendTo's error reporting allows attackers to enumerate your
> organization's userlist. By brute-forcing the "To:" field in a
> drop-off, the attacker can get the full list of valid users in LDAP.

Can you explain in more detail please? ZendTo does not verify the contents of the "To:" field (other than the domain name in external dropoffs). It's far easier and faster to enumerate all valid users by brute-forcing SMTP "RCPT" commands. They usually give you an instant valid/invalid response for each attempt, and don't require you to attempt to send any message to anyone. Again, no added security whatsoever, it's another tick box.