[ZendTo] Re: Authentication failure display bug in ZendTo 4.11-6

Mike Brudenell mike.brudenell at york.ac.uk
Fri Jan 18 09:27:36 GMT 2013

Hi, Jules!

On 18 January 2013 09:08, Jules <Jules at zend.to> wrote:

> If they were originally arrays in my default file, they need to be arrays
> still, even empty ones.

Looking at preferences.php in the current 4.11-6 release (which I guess is
similar to/the same as the versions we're running) it says:

  // If you are not using this 2nd set of settings for a 2nd AD forest,
  // do not comment them out, but instead set them to be empty.
  'authLDAPBaseDN2'           => 'DC=soton,DC=ac,DC=uk',
  'authLDAPServers2'          => array('ad1.soton.ac.uk','ad2.soton.ac.uk'),
  'authLDAPAccountSuffix2'    => '@soton.ac.uk',
  'authLDAPUseSSL2'           => false,
  'authLDAPBindUser2'         => 'SecretUsername2',
  'authLDAPBindPass2'         => 'SecretPassword2',
  'authLDAPOrganization2'     => 'University of Southampton',

Not being terribly familiar with PHP we took this literally and set the
values to be blank — ie, ''.

It was only yesterday by luck that I spotted the comment earlier on in the
file about the forest1 preferences which says:

 // Settings for the 2-forest/2-domain AD authenticator.
  // Set
  //     'authLDAPServers2' => array(),
  // if you only have to search 1 AD forest/domain.

that made me realise we'd got it wrong. Perhaps this note should be moved
down in to just above the forest2 preferences to help people spot it?

In passing (and it may not make much difference given the bailout test is
made against the authLDAPServer2 variable) should we have set
authLDAPUseSSL2 (a boolean) to be either true or false here rather than ''
as well? (It's false in your original file but we blindly set it to '' too
as per the current comment.)

Aha! Many thanks! :-)

> Yes, just looked at the code, you're totally right.

Phew! I was beginning to think I was barking up the wrong tree and wasting
your time. No problem at all: our users here really appreciate ZendTo. I'm
currently trying to resist switching the CAPTCHA to AreYouAHuman … I may
seek comments from our support office. :-)

Cheers,
Mike B-)

--
IT Services, The University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5DD, UK
Tel: +44-1904-323811