[ZendTo] Re: Library files

Jules Jules at Zend.To
Sun Sep 30 11:05:36 BST 2012

On 15/09/2012 01:32, Kevin Miller wrote:
> Some of my users are engineers who manage long term building projects.  They want to be able to have a long term repository where large files (autocad and such) can reside, possibly for multiple years.  I haven't enabled webdav and the library function in zendto yet, but am thinking that may be a good solution.  I'm not sure however if files stored there are deleted after 14 days like current uploads are.
No, the library is a source of files to upload, designed for situations
where you have users who frequently need to send the same files to
different people over and over again. We use it for distributing
software on request to our users. We have a very large Adobe Acrobat
licence, for example. Users can be given a copy of the software to
install themselves if they ask for it. So we keep a copy of Acrobat in
the library of our "software distribution" user account, and so whoever
is doing that job that day doesn't keep having to upload multiple copies
of Acrobat every time a user asks for it. It's in the library, so it's
there already.

> Also, can outside folks browse that directory or access the files in it?
No.

> Too, outside consultants or architects need to be able to upload a file or files and need it to be retrieved by both internal and external users.  Currently, if an outside user tries to drop off a file for another outside user to pick up, it fails with the following:
>
>    Upload Error
>    You must be logged in as a CBJ user in order to drop-off a file for a non-CBJ user.
>
>   Is there a way to allow external users to drop off a file for both internal and external users?
No, because if I allowed that your ZendTo server would instantly become
a porn and warez distribution site, as anyone could upload files for
download by anyone else. That is specifically prohibited in ZendTo. You
would have to give accounts to your "outside" folks in order for them to
be able to upload files which could be downloaded by both internal and
external users.

Jules.