[ZendTo] Re: Sender Policy Framework (SPF) check on zendto sent emails

Mike Brudenell mike.brudenell at york.ac.uk
Mon Nov 26 09:45:36 GMT 2012

Hi, Marlon!

On 23 November 2012 17:59, Marlon R Deerr <MDeerr at tgf.ca> wrote:

> Thanks Mike.  That seemed to fix it.  Looks like that other setting that
> has escaped you doesn’t prevent that modification from working.

Excellent! I'll check with a colleague if he can remember what we changed
in the CLI configuration file: however I think that was probably just for
completeness as I think it's for when PHP is used from the command line
rather than within Apache.

> PS: I didn’t set that sent from address to do-not-reply. I felt that may
> be confusing seeing that recipient actually can reply to that email and
> have it sent back to the “true” sender.

Our <do-not-reply at york.ac.uk> address is a blackhole: any messages arriving
for it are silently thrown away.

You may want to check your decision… Remember that:

   - When a message has been delivered and the recipient hits "Reply" their
   message goes back to:

   1. The address given in a "Reply-to" header (if present; it generally
      isn't), else
      2. To the address given in the (visible) "From" header.

   - The recipient's reply is *never* sent back to the sender's address
   given in the SMTP envelope.

   - The recipient almost never sees the sender's address in the SMTP
   envelope as it's one of the "hidden headers", not normally displayed to the
   recipient.

   - Instead the sender address in the SMTP envelope (which the "-f" option
   is setting) is *only* used during message routing and up to the delivery
   point. Thus if the message can't be delivered because the recipient's
   mailbox is full or their address invalid the non-delivery report (NDR) is
   returned to the sender address in the SMTP envelope.

So instead consider where you want delivery failure reports to go back to,
and set the sender address in the envelope to that address. (So one
possibility is a blackhole such as we use; another might be the address of
the original sender so they can see there was a problem getting the dropoff
notification through.)

Cheers,
Mike B-)

--
IT Services, The University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5DD, UK
Tel: +44-1904-323811